Talk Permit Tone and IP-223

This forum has been created to foster the discussion on future and cutting edge technology. This discussion is not limited or restricted to Motorola. Examples of allowed discussion are open source hardware (GNU Radio for example) and software (Open source P25, Asterisk, ROIP, etc). Discussion is also permitted where older technology could be applied to areas where it had previously not been used (Example: Trunking on amateur radio).

Moderator: Queue Moderator

randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

Talk Permit Tone and IP-223

Post by randymince »

The talk permit tone can be heard before audio while being received by other subscriber units. This happens even with the technician handset directly connected to the IP-223. This is not an issue with our current users, but I just want to know why it is doing this, because for some instances, it could be an issue in the future. Again when a console user transmits the talk permit tone is heard before any other audio. All radios are Motorola XTL 5000 base stations connected via tone remote to the IP-223 in a 4-Wire configuration.

On a separate note, does anyone have any experience with Motorola trunking systems and Telex IP-223 integration in general? I have had a lot of experience with the Telex product family, but am new to managing a trunking system, so just looking for some help to make sure it's not something on the trunking system side that I might be missing. Some console users are experiencing busy tones, everything seems to be correct on the Motorola system side, I was wondering if any TX or RX delays have needed to be adjusted at the 223 level to discourage the inhibit tone. Originally I was thinking that maybe if a dispatch user attempts to transmit quickly that the go ahead tone would be coming back down the wire line and be seen as a carrier or audio traffic causing the radio to produce the inhibit tone. Any thoughts or suggestions? I can dive into what I have changed at the user configuration level, just wanted to throw out the symptoms first.
...And that's how radios work
Bill_G

Re: Talk Permit Tone and IP-223

Post by Bill_G »

It would probably be wise to add 100ms of delay to the tx and rx paths for every line just to pad the buffers.
randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

Post by randymince »

For sure, that is something that was done pre trunking migration. Bill have you experienced hearing the talk permit tone like I described?
...And that's how radios work
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Yep. On Kenwood LTR which means you need a talk permit for every transmission. You hit ptt, half second later talk permit tones are heard, dispatcher starts talking. The tones never go out over the air. I'd go back over the wiring and internal IP223 jumpering to make sure it is not cross-connected or one jumper left in 2W.

Return to “Experimental and Next Generation LMR”