Direct connecting MotoTrbo to Astro 7.xx Trunking

Moderator: Queue Moderator

chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Direct connecting MotoTrbo to Astro 7.xx Trunking

Post by chartofmaryland »

How to directly pass MotoTrbo traffic through to a 7.xx Astro Trunking talkgroup without a CCGW . . . .

Information is not pouring out from normal places so . . .
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.
Jim202

Re: Direct connecting MotoTrbo to Astro 7.xx Trunking

Post by Jim202 »

With no CCGW, you have no way to get into or out of a trunking system to make patches from the console to an analog or other type of radio system.

The next best way is to use 2 radios connected back to back. On radio needs to be on the trunking system with the talk group your want to use and the other radio needs to be a MotoTrbo on the traffic channel you want to connect to. You will probably need some way of controlling the audio levels going into the separate transmitters. You may even have to use a transistor to provide a PTT for the transmitter keying.

It can be done. But the reality of cost, effort and necessity all come into play here. If there is any chance you will need other radios patched into the trunking system in the future, you just might want to bite the bullet and install a CCGW. That is a much cleaner and simple way of taking a non trunking radio and patching it into a trunking system.

Use to work for a a radio interoperability gateway company and ran into radio interface issues all the time.

Jim
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter

Have the CCGW already but want to patch in traffic from a Trbo site that is well out of range of being heard by where the Core site is located.

Now having to look at adding an SLR at the core just to provide radio coverage to the mobile hooked up to the CCGW.

Pretty crazy stuff considering the technology capabilities we have today.

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Well you could use a pair of Zetron 6300 IP gateways to bring the audio in from a base station located within the radio footprint, and convert it to tone at the CCGW end to feed into it.

http://www.zetron.com/Portals/0/PDFs/pr ... 20note.pdf
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter

Path I was hoping for was one with the ISSI 8000 or similar as an IP solution but none exist yet.

Even then it looks this will still be a patch icon solution.

Terrible thing is a console position is required just to make patches as permenant patching is not supported yet by just combining resources in the PM :( unless I have not learned how yet?

And since you cannot dispatch properly from a position that is hosting patches, you have to explain why dispatch has to loose a position to make interoperability work.

Oh the joy

CoM
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

chartofmaryland wrote:Path I was hoping for was one with the ISSI 8000 or similar as an IP solution but none exist yet.
Being that the ISSI is a P25 standard, I wouldn't expect a non-P25 protocol like TRBO to be integrated.
chartofmaryland wrote:And since you cannot dispatch properly from a position that is hosting patches, you have to explain why dispatch has to loose a position to make interoperability work.
Could you elaborate a bit on this? We do lots of patching, including permanent patches, on consoles at lots of dispatch centers. We've never had to "lose" a position because of it. What challenges have you had?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter

Afternoon Wavetar,

Yes,

The ISGW is capable of speaking to a small variety of different server platforms that speak P25 as well as SIP (through the enhanced telephony gateway).

I understand it that the ISGW is a protocol based virtual server solution than a hardware solution.

Hope is to be able to leverage the software flexibility and not have to squeeze through the vocoder sandbox.

In lieu of a perfect solution the following is the result of a bit of internet digging.

Clearcom CG-X1 DMR gateway is what came up and am asking the manufacturer how this may possibly do what I need.

CONCEPT: Come inbound to the solution gateway as Tier 2 DMR IP and leave this gateway as G.711 or G.729 SIP which is then compatible (in theory) with the Cisco 3500 routers we have installed for enhanced telephony in the MCC7500 console subsite.

On the patching,

When using the MCC7500 console and at a position (we'll call it position 3) you create a patch, when you go to dispatch from position 3 with the patch built, you select your radio channel you are assigned to for the day (POLICE 1) and find you can only transmit back to the resource that is selected.

No transmissions will go out on the other "patched" resources (CO SHERIFF 2, SWAT 1 etc.) unless you head over to the patch global transmit icon and transmit from there. Not convenient to our users.

User request is to only have to be selected on their resource (POLICE 1) for transmit and then the footswitch, Plantronics PTT, mouse, touchscreen follow along without skipping a beat.

First Resolution: Tried using a supervisor position (Position 2) and got burned when the supervisor took over radio calls in an instant and the patched radios were left out of the conversation.

As could be understood, the radio traffic that day was pretty important so didn't go well when things were missed.

Second Resolution: Make patches for the day on Position 10 (10 console dispatch center) where when 10 is not likely to ever be used, the patch is up and no one is the wiser.

Final Reoslution: Make the patch(s) on a position (Position 10) we pulled back to the radio shop where it cannot affect dispatching.

One less in dispatch but so far happy customers.

If I have missed something on this, it would be great to learn how to resolve it so the experience is better.

CoM
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Thank you for the detailed answers, it makes things much clearer to me now. Please let us know how your DMR-to-Telephony works out...I'm very curious!

I'm thinking you can use multi-select at the patching console to help with your issue, but I don't play with the consoles often. I'll poke around & see what we do at the various dispatch centers.

Return to “MotoTRBO Repeaters, Trunking, and Site Infrastructure”