Is anyone using LTE/4G backhaul for LCP?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RFguy

Is anyone using LTE/4G backhaul for LCP?

Post by RFguy »

We are looking at putting in a small (3 site, 2 repeater per site) Capacity Plus system and are looking at LTE/4G back haul for one site.

Does anyone have experience with this? The data throughput seems low (about 18k per channel when active) and my experience with LTE is the latency is pretty low, not sure about jitter.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this and what pitfalls have been experienced.

Thank in advance.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Is anyone using LTE/4G backhaul for LCP?

Post by wavetar »

I believe I've seen posts from a couple of people here to say they have done it on a production system...Bill_G comes to mind. Myself, I experimented with running IPSC over LTE, and found it to work quite well during my testing. Of course, the stronger the LTE signal, the better, even for things like latency. It's been a couple of years, but I recall the LTE latency was well within the 60-90ms requirements.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Post by chartofmaryland »

Morning RFGuy,

Have had this running for a couple of months now with Sierra Wireless GX440's providing green internet to SLR5700's that link up with the C-Bridge almost instantly

Same thing experienced between the SLR devices on a VPN lan connection over cellular through Cisco routers

No issues as long as the cellular latency is under 180ms

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Thanks for the replies. It gives me confidence to move forward with a test.

One thought here is just to use a USB cellular modem "Rocket stick", but I like the idea of a good quality Sierra modem/router. It allows for an external antenna and probably a some management features.

Return to “MotoTRBO Repeaters, Trunking, and Site Infrastructure”