Reputable repair shop

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KH6EF
New User

Reputable repair shop

Post by KH6EF »

Aloha,

I have an XTS3000 giving me a FAIL 01/82, FAIL 01/92, and ERROR 002. I sent it into one CSC and they said they couldn't download the software from Motorola to read the radio so the only options I had was sending it in for a flat fee repair of $450 or pay the $70 bench check and they'd send the radio back to me. Guess which one I opted for.

I am hoping a repair costs less than buying a new-to-me XTS and looking for some shops that won't charge a bench fee for doing jack.

Thank you.
Bill_G

Re: Reputable repair shop

Post by Bill_G »

Well, those are all eeprom errors. Chances are your double E took a hit. It might be able to be reprogrammed. Might not. Do you have a saved codeplug? Otherwise, it has to be recreated. I'd try a read / write cycle before sending it in. Might require a recalibration too.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Do TEN read / write cycles in sequence. Sometimes that works, too.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

com501 wrote:Do TEN read / write cycles in sequence. Sometimes that works, too.
Didn't early Quantars have corrupted eeprom issues that were solved by "exercising" them?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

KH6EF wrote:Aloha,

I have an XTS3000 giving me a FAIL 01/82, FAIL 01/92, and ERROR 002. I sent it into one CSC and they said they couldn't download the software from Motorola to read the radio so the only options I had was sending it in for a flat fee repair of $450 or pay the $70 bench check and they'd send the radio back to me. Guess which one I opted for.

I am hoping a repair costs less than buying a new-to-me XTS and looking for some shops that won't charge a bench fee for doing jack.

Thank you.
I'd ask for my money back, since the XTS3000 hasn't been supported for years and they shouldn't have accepted the job in the first place if they didn't have the tools necessary to complete it. Sending it to the depot would not be an option and hasn't been for almost a decade
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

All of those indicate the corrective action as "reprogram the codeplug"....

This doesn't always work. You may have to force a codeplug into it. IF that doesn't work probably time for a "new" radio.
jry

Post by jry »

controller is shot. Not worth fixing the board.

If you can extract your current codeplug buy another cheap 800 XTS3000 and swap the controller.

Just get an 800 Model I and move over the controller and reprogram.

The alignment needs to be checked as well.

You may be better off looking for a deal on a 5000 or 2500 than mess with this radio.

Return to “ASTRO Series (Astro Saber, Spectra, XTS3000/3500) Subscribers”