Mid power Astro Spectra pinout

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hamptonbeach

Mid power Astro Spectra pinout

Post by hamptonbeach »

Hello,
I have an Astro Spectra mid power D04KKF9PW5AN remote mount and I want to use it as a Zello gateway with the RoxiTEK interface. I'm trying to set up a demo for my school district where employees can use their smarphone with the Zello for work app to communicate with the school's radio repeater. The nice guy at RoxiTEK is having trouble making an interface cable to connect to J6. It seems there is conflicting information online as to the correct pinout of the J6 connector. Does anyone here have the definitive information or a link to where it's located?
Pinout for the DB15 connector on the rear could be helpful as well.

Thanks!
jackhackett

Re: Mid power Astro Spectra pinout

Post by jackhackett »

The service manuals are on Repeater Builder. Basic Service Manual has the connector pinouts.
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

I appreciate the reply, but can you be more specific? A direct link to the pinout would be nice :)
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Astro Digital Spectra Basic Service Manual
http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... index.html
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

I know how to find the repeater builder website. I'm asking for a specific link to the actual pinout and/or a picture of it posted here.
The page you pointed me to has 8 links titles AS service manual, one of them is 389 pages long.
It would be nice if the table of contents had 'J6 accessory connector pinout page xxx', but it doesn't.
I'm looking for someone here that has actual experience with the pinout as I've found different pinouts for the same J6 connector :(
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Stop being lazy. Download the service manual and save it.

Your going to be asking additional questions that this manual has. The index works well to locate the information you may have in the future. Plus you can print an individual page or number of pages to your printer as needed.

I download all service documents I can find for any radio I have or have had to work on. Do the same thing with all my computers and any I have had to work on. Makes my life so much easier and saves tons of time.

I have a 2 TB hard drive on my computer. The small price they are on Amazon makes them a fine storage device on the computer.

I have been in the two way field for many years and learn new things almost every day. I read and learn doing it as needed.

Programming radios is a skill you have to learn. I make many of my own programming cables that use a serial connection between the radio and computer. In many cases, if it is a portable radio, you probably can use an old speaker mic to make the cable into a programming cable. You might have to move a wire or 2 to connect to the needed pin on the portable mic connector for programming to work. Look it up in the service manual.
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

Tough crowd on this forum. Instead of trolls that necro-post a 6 month old thread to berate me further for asking for help and then mansplain me on information I wasn't even asking about, I'm used to ham radio 'elmers' that can't wait to show off their expertise, take your hand and walk you step by step through your question or problem until resolved.. In the time you took to tell me how lazy I was and how great you are, you could've instead gave me an answer.
I know enough about programming to make me dangerous, I rely on smart people or professionals to give me answers when I'm stumped - I'm guessing you are neither.
2-way radios are not my passion, they are a side hobby. I don't have the time or the interest to d/l every piece of information for every bit of electronics I own and study it until I can figure it out on my own.
I figured some nice person would come forward here -

The end story was the Spectra does not have the pinouts needed without internal modification - the CDM series of mobiles does. Interfaced it with the Zell network - it did everything I expected it to do, and the school district passed on the demo as they were pushed away by ZelloWork subscriber fees.
I am all done here - if moderator reads this please close the thread - TY.

Return to “ASTRO Series (Astro Saber, Spectra, XTS3000/3500) Subscribers”