Need Help with a XTL

Moderator: Queue Moderator

surplussouth
New User

Need Help with a XTL

Post by surplussouth »

I have a XTL2500 that shows 01-90 . Radio was working fine but all of the sudden starting showing the fail code when it is first powered up it will display fail 01-90 cycle off and back on display fail 01-90 cycle off and come back on in the maintence mode . I have been told that it may be a 5 amp fuse on the board inside the radio. Does anyone know where the fuse is located and maybe be able show me in a pic or tell me where it is .

Any help I would be grateful for .

Thanks in advance.
tuckerm

Re: Need Help with a XTL

Post by tuckerm »

I do not know where the fuse is...but the Fail your getting is related to the control head not being able to talk to the radio itself (the brick). Make sure that the rear unit has power and the control cable is firmly plugged in at both ends.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
surplussouth
New User

Post by surplussouth »

I have tried several differant heads and also have tried several differant TIBs and CHIBs . I can read and right to the radio fron the rear od the radio but nothing works with the head . Radio has the latest firmware . I have been old that there is a 5amp fuse on the main board in the radio that may be bad I just dont know where that fuse is at . I am hoping someone on here can help me with finding that fuse.
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

If you can read/write the brick from the rear connector then it must have power and be booted up; and it's safe to assume the CH has power (if it's displaying the error) so you would be better off checking/swapping out cables rather than throwing extra CHs at it? It's not impossible that a cable has been pinched or cut over time where it runs around a bracket or through a bulkhead?

Next thing to try is to "Synchronize Control Head with Radio" from the "Tools" menu of CPS. You will also need the latest sync file (it's probably something like "Astro_25_CH_BN" but there may be a newer one out by now). Check the CPS help screens as I believe there's a tutorial in there somewhere which explains the process?

One final note: XTL's are a SOB when it comes to control heads, you need to make sure you have the correct TIB/CHIB and flex for the head you want to use and in my experience you will almost always need to re-sync when changing Mantaray/Odyssey CHs, unlike the older W-series heads which were "dumb", the newer stuff has firmware all it's own and it needs to match what's in the brick.

Andrew
surplussouth
New User

Post by surplussouth »

I have tried everything swaping heads, chibs, tibs and cables. Even when set up as a dash mount I still get the same fail code.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

If you have the hardware I would suggest switching it to a W series head once and see if that works.
gmacias102
New User

Post by gmacias102 »

surplussouth wrote:I have tried several differant heads and also have tried several differant TIBs and CHIBs . I can read and right to the radio fron the rear od the radio but nothing works with the head . Radio has the latest firmware . I have been old that there is a 5amp fuse on the main board in the radio that may be bad I just dont know where that fuse is at . I am hoping someone on here can help me with finding that fuse.
The fuse you are looking for is F0400 located in top side of the main board. What frequency range radio do you have. The fuse is in line with the supply voltage to run the control head circuity. It is a chip fuse.

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”