PM1500 Dual Head Problems

Moderator: Queue Moderator

vb105
What radios do you own?: TK5720,NX5000,PM1500,FTM400

PM1500 Dual Head Problems

Post by vb105 »

I have an interesting problem with my PM1500. Bought a second head and sync'd it with the transceiver successfully. First control head (6' cable) and transceiver sit in my office. Bought a 75' control head cable so that I could mount the second head in my living room. Programmed radio to multi head operation. Connected second head and radio will not power up with both heads plugged in. I have the new 2nd head getting power from a 12V 15A power supply (separate from transceiver and first head). Each will work alone on the 6' or 75' cable but I'll get a Fail 05/10 error every time on bootup when only a single head is plugged in. I'm unable to get into the control head selection menu by pressing emergency and 1st soft button. I feel like I'm out of options... any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Paul
Jim202

Re: PM1500 Dual Head Problems

Post by Jim202 »

vb105 wrote:I have an interesting problem with my PM1500. Bought a second head and sync'd it with the transceiver successfully. First control head (6' cable) and transceiver sit in my office. Bought a 75' control head cable so that I could mount the second head in my living room. Programmed radio to multi head operation. Connected second head and radio will not power up with both heads plugged in. I have the new 2nd head getting power from a 12V 15A power supply (separate from transceiver and first head). Each will work alone on the 6' or 75' cable but I'll get a Fail 05/10 error every time on bootup when only a single head is plugged in. I'm unable to get into the control head selection menu by pressing emergency and 1st soft button. I feel like I'm out of options... any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Paul

The second head needs to be programmed with the head number set to 2. I forget how to do it. It needs to be done without the radio cable connected. It takes a combination of pressing 2 buttons when powering up and using the channel knob to set to the control head number your looking for. Then power it down, connect the interface cable back up and you should be good to go.

It's been commented on a number of times here on this site. You might want to do a search and it should show up.

The radio also needs to be programmed to know there should be 2 control heads connected.

Jim
vb105
What radios do you own?: TK5720,NX5000,PM1500,FTM400

Re: PM1500 Dual Head Problems

Post by vb105 »

Thanks Jim. After four hours of power supply, control head sync, and other troubleshooting - I finally resolved the issue with a firmware upgrade. I had an exteremly old firmare loaded on the radio (didn't alow dual head, didn't allow scan edit from the control head). After the upgrade, I was able to set CH 1 and CH2 accordingly and now it works like a charm!

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”