XTL2500 simply won't passive scan

Moderator: Queue Moderator

256QAM

XTL2500 simply won't passive scan

Post by 256QAM »

Anyone else have issues getting an XTL2500 to passive scan?

Scan works fine conventionally on the site (digital CSQ) in question but attempting to scan using the hidden talkgroup method is no dice.

I've seen a couple posts on here that either confirmed or denied the XTL2500 could successfully scan without affiliation.

One post said "two XTL2500s, one works, other doesn't".

I think I have one of those that won't!

There is a video of one allegedly non-affiliate scanning on YouTube, but the signal strength indicator leads me to think that it actually was affiliated.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: XTL2500 simply won't passive scan

Post by wavetar »

I don't know where the cut-off was, but I believe only very early firmware versions of the 'X' series worked with the hidden channel scanning trick, on Astro25 systems.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
256QAM

Post by 256QAM »

wavetar wrote:I don't know where the cut-off was, but I believe only very early firmware versions of the 'X' series worked with the hidden channel scanning trick, on Astro25 systems.
Would rolling back the firmware be an option then? I'm running whatever the most current is.
triptolemus

Post by triptolemus »

No affiliate scan (passive scan, hidden TG method, whatever) works just fine on current XTS/L firmware. 2500 or 5000, makes no difference.
256QAM

Post by 256QAM »

triptolemus wrote:No affiliate scan (passive scan, hidden TG method, whatever) works just fine on current XTS/L firmware. 2500 or 5000, makes no difference.
Gotcha.
p47r4ck

Post by p47r4ck »

FWIW, triple-check your codeplug settings.

I dunno wth I did, but with an XTL I went through to set it up the same way I did two other radios... and it would try to affiliate.

After spending hours going through the codeplug, I reverted to a backup codeplug from before I started setting it up.

From there, I went through everything again (very methodically, very slowly, lol), and it's worked fine on passive-scan since.

This was a year ago, and to this today I still don't know wth I messed up... bothers me again just thinking about it! :x

In any event, backups-backups-backups!

I've done passive-scan on R16 & R19 HOST/DSP XTL 1500 & 2500's no problem... can't confirm R20
W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Post by W3AXL »

I've occasionally run in to strange issues with passive scan on Astro25 radios. Recently on a 2500 I had two identically-programmed systems and yet one worked flawlessly and one would constantly send logout messages to the controller. There was zero difference between the two systems' programming besides control channels.
256QAM

Post by 256QAM »

I'll go back through it again and see if I'm missing something... It seems to work flawlessly for some, others it seems to be a major PITA :)
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

Make sure also you have CAI Data Registration turned off on your conventional systems. Otherwise it may try to send data out and appears to be trying to affiliate.
Jake
256QAM

Post by 256QAM »

NSPD wrote:Make sure also you have CAI Data Registration turned off on your conventional systems. Otherwise it may try to send data out and appears to be trying to affiliate.
I have that turned off. The radio does not behave like it is trying to affiliate, just simply passes no audio on a passive trunked mode. Does pass audio when monitoring conventionally the same system.

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”