XTL2500 M5 Power up ?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

XTL2500 M5 Power up ?

Post by RadioSouth »

Just obtained a couple of ex PD VHF mid power XTL2500 M5 radios dash mount. I attached a power cord and after getting no power up applied B+ to pin 25 with no result. Never had any XTL's before, is there anything configuration that needs anything to be jumpered ? Anything in the XTL series preventing power up with no speaker attached ?
JeffFireRadio

Re: XTL2500 M5 Power up ?

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Assumptions:

You are using a Motorola power cable (HKN4191B) and not something from another electronic device with the polarity going the other way. Poof goes the internal fuse.

You have applied 12vDC to Pin 25 ('Ignition' per the BSM), hopefully via the appropriate Motorola accessory cable and not a paperclip or something. This can be a moot point depending upon how the radio is programmed to look for/ignore ignition sensing.

---

When an XTL gets 'first time'/fresh power applied to it (as in your case...you just acquired the radio), it usually takes two (count 'em, two) presses of the on/off button (black one on the front left of the radio/display with the 0/1...the orange one is not power, but emergency) to get it to power up. This is not something the book tells you. Many have been frustrated by this little tidbit.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: XTL2500 M5 Power up ?

Post by RadioSouth »

Thanks Jeff. Yup, I tried that orange button a couple of times until nothing happened and then saw that power icon on the other button and tried that one as well. Tried powering with the standard Moto power cable then carefully applying B+ to pin 25 as well. Far as you know the official Moto
cable has no jumpers that I need to duplicate ?
Thanks,
Jim

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”