Some miscellaneous XTVA questions...

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sataraid1

Some miscellaneous XTVA questions...

Post by sataraid1 »

Picked up a nice second hand XTVA console, and I've been setting it up on the bench just to be sure everything is working. So far, so good, but I've come up with a few odd questions I hope someone can help with.

My understanding of the purpose of the ignition line is that it is basically the switch to let the XTVA know when it should be charging, based on concerns over vehicle battery drain. Is that ALL it does? If yes, and I don't need or want any charging functions, can I just leave the ignition line disconnected? Doing so won't impair any other function of the XTVA? All of my batteries are IMPRES, and I'd really prefer to just leave charging duties to my IMPRES charger, and perhaps avoid the heat buildup as well.

When the main power line to the XTVA is disconnected, the HT's battery voltage is present on the XTVA's power connector. I discovered this by turning off my bench power supply while the radio was still in the XTVA, but turned off. When I switched my bench supply off, I was quite confused to hear that the fan was still running! I ejected the radio and it stopped. Is this normal? It seems quite odd to me.

And finally, on to the RF adapter. Is there a way to mod the XTVA so it uses the external antenna without the adapter present? I'm assuming that part of the reason it isolates the HT antenna is to eliminate RF exposure inside the vehicle, but both of the radios that would be used in this XTVA are receive-only, so that's not a factor. The adapter seems like such a kludge, is a PITA to install, and seems like it would just introduce another weak point in the antenna fitting.

Thanks in advance for any insights anyone wishes to share.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Re: Some miscellaneous XTVA questions...

Post by sjxts3000 »

As far as I know, the XTVA is not an "impres" charger, so you'll still want to recondition your batteries in an impres charger at some point.
Just curious, though... if you're not wanting to use the RF adapter (and hence no external antenna) and only using it for Rx, I have to ask...why are you going through all this trouble with the XTVA? Wouldn't it be just as easier to sit the portable in a cup holder and then turn up the volume?
Ideally, the XTVA is used to "convert" (i.e. "convertacom") a portable into a mobile. It's best used with an RF power amplifier (matching your radio's RF band, of course), the HHCH head, and external antenna....all this with ignition sense. Please forgive me for asking this... but it sounds like you're wanting to "dumb down" the XTVA to the point where it just doesn't make sense to use it at all.
sataraid1

Post by sataraid1 »

I may not have been completely clear, but what I want to do is have the XTVA use *only* the external antenna, and wondered if there was a way to trick it into doing so that avoids using the RF adapter. Since I'm a little fuzzy on the role the adapter plays, it may turn out to not be possible.

I was under the impression that the adapter was essentially a "switch" that, when detected, tells the XTVA to use the external antenna, and disables the HT antenna. This presumes that the XTVA is getting the external antenna signal to the radio via the side contacts. If that's not the case, and the XTVA is actually piping the external antenna into the radio via that adapter, then obviously I'll be stuck with using one. (And hoping my local shop has the stupid wrench necessary to install the darn thing.)

Ultimately, the only thing I wouldn't use on the XTVA (if possible) is the charging system. External antenna, external amplified speaker, and HHCH will all be in use.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

sataraid1 wrote:I may not have been completely clear, but what I want to do is have the XTVA use *only* the external antenna, and wondered if there was a way to trick it into doing so that avoids using the RF adapter. Since I'm a little fuzzy on the role the adapter plays, it may turn out to not be possible.

I was under the impression that the adapter was essentially a "switch" that, when detected, tells the XTVA to use the external antenna, and disables the HT antenna. This presumes that the XTVA is getting the external antenna signal to the radio via the side contacts. If that's not the case, and the XTVA is actually piping the external antenna into the radio via that adapter, then obviously I'll be stuck with using one. (And hoping my local shop has the stupid wrench necessary to install the darn thing.)

Ultimately, the only thing I wouldn't use on the XTVA (if possible) is the charging system. External antenna, external amplified speaker, and HHCH will all be in use.
Ah...gotcha. The RF adapter is required to route the radio RF to the XTVA RF connector. I supposed you could use a different adapter and just attach an external antenna directly to the radio, but with no charging capability (that you want) and no RF adapter-based antenna, then you'd be essentially using an XTVA as a glorified radio holder. I'm not sure if the XTVA audio is depending on the XTVA being able to detect the RF adapter on the radio when you lock it in place. Actually, if you hook up the power cable (which powers the external speaker and external RF routing (though not amplified), you'll be charging the radio when it's in the cradle.

Honestly, I'd just hook everything up and take full advantage of the entire system. You won't regret it (unless you ditch the XTS radio and go with an APX with AVA!)
sataraid1

Post by sataraid1 »

Thanks for the clarification. If the adapter can't be avoided, they yes, I'll install it. Seems like such an kludge, though.

Having the external antenna is one of my primary reasons, but having the amplified speaker is a major part, too. For the most part, the HT actually picks up reasonably well just laying in the seat, but when I'm driving down the road I can't hear it well enough. The HHCH should be here in a few days, which will make the whole thing workable, since my install point will place it just beyond easy reach.

Any thoughts on the radio battery power leeching out through the XTVA power connector?
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

sataraid1 wrote:Thanks for the clarification. If the adapter can't be avoided, they yes, I'll install it. Seems like such an kludge, though.

Having the external antenna is one of my primary reasons, but having the amplified speaker is a major part, too. For the most part, the HT actually picks up reasonably well just laying in the seat, but when I'm driving down the road I can't hear it well enough. The HHCH should be here in a few days, which will make the whole thing workable, since my install point will place it just beyond easy reach.

Any thoughts on the radio battery power leeching out through the XTVA power connector?
By the word "console" i assume you mean the holder unit.

FYI - XTVA User Guide Doc Number = 68P81088C76-?
? = Rev number

You may want to consult this doc if you can still get it.
fineshot1
NJ USA
sataraid1

Post by sataraid1 »

FWIW, the HHCH arrived a few days ago, and everything appears to be working normally. I don't have the RF adapters yet, as I was hoping the local shop might have a couple and I was waiting to hear back from them. I see Wiscomm is selling new ones on eBay for $14 a pop, so I'm probably going to just grab a couple of those.

I guess at this point, my only remaining questions are:

Can I disable the charging system by simply leaving the ignition line disconnected, with no other ill effects to the XTVA?

Is it normal for HT battery voltage to be present on the XTVA power connector when disconnected from main power?
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Is it normal for HT battery voltage to be present on the XTVA power connector when disconnected from main power?
Yes, when using an IMPRES battery. I dealt with this before. The XTVA was designed before IMPRES and wasn't changed to prevent back feeding. It's all good as long as the main power is connected directly to the vehicle battery (standard install).
sataraid1

Post by sataraid1 »

RFguy wrote:
Yes, when using an IMPRES battery. I dealt with this before. The XTVA was designed before IMPRES and wasn't changed to prevent back feeding. It's all good as long as the main power is connected directly to the vehicle battery (standard install).
Thanks for confirming this. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't crazy, or that the unit had some kind of problem. It's in great shape and I got it for a song, but its history is unknown.
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

I didn't know that the XTVS's had a fan.. Well at least mine does not have a fan.

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

ScannerDan wrote:I didn't know that the XTVS's had a fan.. Well at least mine does not have a fan.
I think OP was referring to the fan in his bench power supply was still running (IMPRES battery backfeeding).
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

RFguy wrote:
ScannerDan wrote:I didn't know that the XTVS's had a fan.. Well at least mine does not have a fan.
I think OP was referring to the fan in his bench power supply was still running (IMPRES battery backfeeding).
OK got it thanks

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

There is no fan in the XTVA and any of its Predecessors(MTVA, etc.)
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”