O5 to O3 control head swap?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ScannerDan

O5 to O3 control head swap?

Post by ScannerDan »

I have a mid power XTL5000 with a remote mount O5 control head. I would like to swap it for a remote mount O3 handheld control head. My question is how difficult is it and what is the Motorola part number for the O3 control head extension cable ?

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
fineshot1

Re: O5 to O3 control head swap?

Post by fineshot1 »

I do not know for sure but I think there must be a kit that contains all
the parts necessary along with the necessary documentation for the
conversion. I am sure changing the ignition sense considerations would
be part of that.
fineshot1
NJ USA
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

PMLN4958 is the mic extension cable. You will also need the PMLN4959 accessory cable as well to provide ignition sense and speaker leads. All you have to do is make sure you program the appropriate buttons and plug it in on a mid power brick.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

Thank you so much..

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

resqguy911 wrote:PMLN4958 is the mic extension cable. You will also need the PMLN4959 accessory cable as well to provide ignition sense and speaker leads. All you have to do is make sure you program the appropriate buttons and plug it in on a mid power brick.
I just wanted to confirm that the XTL5000 "Rear Ignition Cable" is a "HLN6863B" not the PMLN4959?

resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

ScannerDan wrote:
resqguy911 wrote:PMLN4958 is the mic extension cable. You will also need the PMLN4959 accessory cable as well to provide ignition sense and speaker leads. All you have to do is make sure you program the appropriate buttons and plug it in on a mid power brick.
I just wanted to confirm that the XTL5000 "Rear Ignition Cable" is a "HLN6863B" not the PMLN4959?
That's correct. You need both of those parts to make it work. The HLN6863B plugs into the PMLN4959.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

PMLN4959 isn't really needed. A mid power radio can you use the normal J26 acc connector for speaker and ign sense. Additionally, you can make your own much smaller and slimmer version of the PMLN4959 cable with your own DB25.

Other than that the O3 is plug in compatible with the O5, assuming you have an O5 radio TIB and not an older W series TIB.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

apco25 wrote:PMLN4959 isn't really needed. A mid power radio can you use the normal J26 acc connector for speaker and ign sense.
True, but if you want the speaker to be somewhere near the control head it sure helps.
webby52
What radios do you own?: HT1250, XTS2500, APX6500

Post by webby52 »

I am trying to swap an O5 head to an O3, but whenever I plug it into the TIB the radio shuts off. I thought the CH Synch was the issue but it will not allow me to plug in the O3 head during the process. Running fw r20.50.05 dsp 19.50.01 XTL5000 remote mount. Works fine with the O5 head. BTW I even tried synch with the rear accessory port because when you plug the usb cable into the TIB it gives me the "no usb" error...works fine plugged into the O5 control head.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

webby52 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:20 am
I am trying to swap an O5 head to an O3, but whenever I plug it into the TIB the radio shuts off. I thought the CH Synch was the issue but it will not allow me to plug in the O3 head during the process. Running fw r20.50.05 dsp 19.50.01 XTL5000 remote mount. Works fine with the O5 head. BTW I even tried synch with the rear accessory port because when you plug the usb cable into the TIB it gives me the "no usb" error...works fine plugged into the O5 control head.
You probably need to ask your program manager for the appropriate conversion kit number to order.
if you do please report for all of us the kit number.
fineshot1
NJ USA
webby52
What radios do you own?: HT1250, XTS2500, APX6500

Post by webby52 »

Conversion kit? They are supposed to be plug and play. Its a blue connector into the TIB.
jry

Post by jry »

I plug the O3's into the TIB and just use the rear accessory cable for speaker and ignition

This is my bench test setup and avoids all of the addition cables and heads for an 'O" series setup.

W series remote is still a pain but those are just about gone

for a real install the O3 extension cable would be needed.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

webby52 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:48 am
Conversion kit? They are supposed to be plug and play. Its a blue connector into the TIB.
NOT if you are migrating from one control head to another!
Have another coffee and wake up and go back to the top OP's post.
Conversion kits are required to replace the ribbon cables in the TIB and CHIB
in many cases.
fineshot1
NJ USA
jry

Post by jry »

thought the issue was getting the O3 head to work with a remote mount XTL currently configured and working with an O5 head.

my comment was that I have never had any problem plugging the O3 head directly into the TIB /radio and never had to run the control head sync to get that operational.

The buttons nay not be the way I would want them but the radio is operational.

never had to change any internal components and as mentioned this should be a plug and play going from an O5 to O3 at least on the radio

There was an issue on the very very early XTL's not working with an O5 head ....doing a W series to O5 conversion ...think there was an SN cutoff documented .

Just wondering if the O3 head you have has an issue or if you have another APX or XTL radio to test with.

I think the O3 should even "work" with the O5 head still connected in that you get an error message due to the control head ID's conflicting.

In an O3 configuration you would typically not have a CHIB . That goes away with the O5 head.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

It took me awhile to find it but To answer the OP's question see below:
The word "swap" in his original post had me going in the wrong direction.
I missed that his radio was already a remote mount. Sorry for the confusion.

PMLN4958 O3 handheld control head 17-foot extension cable.
Connects the O3 control head to the transceiver TIB GCAI port.
This part is for an APX but I think the part number is the same
for XTL and APX.
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”