XTL5000 UHF - Dead Power Amplifier (PA)?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

seleong

XTL5000 UHF - Dead Power Amplifier (PA)?

Post by seleong »

Hello!

My remote mount UHF mid-power XTL5000 power amplifier seems to have died. No Tx output power measured at the mini-UHF connector. Mounted in a relatively benign environment in the trunk of my car.

Not sure what my options are for the (cost effective) repair of this radio. I do not know how difficult it is to troubleshoot and/or replace the PA module in the radio.

Appreciate any recommendations on repair / troubleshooting.

Thanks very much!

Steve
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Re: XTL5000 UHF - Dead Power Amplifier (PA)?

Post by com501 »

IF you can get the RF module, it requires good skills to remove and replace. You will also need to adjust bias current in autotune with an Aeroflex with the current shunt.

Troubleshoot first, as the PA is sometimes the problem and sometimes the driver/pre-driver stages instead. All surface mount.

Check the stupid mini-u connector and look at the PA current before going any further. Frequent failures with mis-crimped connectors causing the receptacle to FUBAR.
seleong

Re: XTL5000 UHF - Dead Power Amplifier (PA)?

Post by seleong »

Hello com501!

Many thanks for your reply! I appreciate the pointers and suggestions and will attempt the troubleshooting route for sure. I will dig out the schematics and see if I can trace the circuitry backwards to see if there is something obvious. I just can't this nice of a radio can be turned into a bookend so easily...

Thanks again!

Steve

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”