Quick Call II on a Consolette

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fchrist16
What radios do you own?: Desktrac, XTL/XTS's & XPR's

Quick Call II on a Consolette

Post by fchrist16 »

I've seen the multitude of threads about QCII and the XTS/XTL2500 and 5000's. I am trying to get things to work FOR ONE CHANNEL on QCII in my consolette. Using an approved "lesser used in my area" ham frequency, I have been experimenting between my XTS5000 and th XTL5000 Consolette.

No matter what I do, I can't get either radio to "open up" upon a QCII tone out similar to my local fire's tones. I used my scanner to find the tones for the local station. The radios stay "open" to all traffic regardless as I put the QCII setup on the RX of the local fire channel (since TX is inhibited) and everything came through...

Anyone got a clear cut answer for this? I've spent the last three days perusing the various forums for tips, tricks and ideas.

Regards,

-Frank C.
alex
Administrator

Re: Quick Call II on a Consolette

Post by alex »

What version of Firmware is in the radio? it could be something where the CPS is new enough to have the feature but the radio firmware does not actually support it. I don't know exactly when QCII was added as a feature in the A25 line.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Alex - I don't remember how to get into the mode to get that info on a consolette, isn't it HOME button 5x at start up? CPS doesn't show the firmware.

Regards,

-Frank C.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

If you read the radio with CPS it will tell you. The only time it doesn't show is when you open a codeplug from disk.

Alex
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Alex, The firmware is R07.01.01.

Regards,

-Frank C.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

For the life of me I don’t recall what version QCII came out in, but I don’t think it was as early as 7. My guess is you need to update the firmware for the feature to work. I don’t recall there being a specific flash option that was needed to enable functionality.

I’d start there before beating your head against a wall with it any longer.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Thanks Alex! I'll have to dig through what I have to see if I have anything newer than R07.

Regards,

-Frank C.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Alex, Got myself up to Firmware R20.5...Currently using the radio to listen to the #GlassFire in Napa County so I can't quite "test" the QCII pager idea right now. I'll try later and see what happens.

Regards,

-Frank C.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Alex, Just as a follow up here to get the ball rolling again...Tones are VERIFIED now from someone on communications.support forums. I'm quoting directly from there...I don't need the DTMF tones necessarily as those change call to call based on who they dispatch out. In the decode below, it was engine 6580 being dispatched.

{communications.support quote}
The first series of three beeps are as follows:

Frequency: 1000 Hz (standard 1 kHz tone)
Duration: 210ms per beep
Spacing: 85ms

At about 15 secs in the recording, the tones are DTMF. 6-5-8-0. The digit duration is 75ms, with 35ms spacing in between.

The last part are the QCII tones you already identified. (378.6/358.6 (143/142))
{/communications.support quote}

So with that being said, am I still set right for doing QCII A followed by QCII A/B? Doing a "pager" channel is defintely a NEW ONE for me.

Regards,

-Frank C.
alex wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:18 am
For the life of me I don’t recall what version QCII came out in, but I don’t think it was as early as 7. My guess is you need to update the firmware for the feature to work. I don’t recall there being a specific flash option that was needed to enable functionality.

I’d start there before beating your head against a wall with it any longer.
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

You should need only the QCII A/B function set for the tone pair 143/142. Sounds like Napa County CA first wakes up the entire stationhouse with QC2, followed by a 4-digit DTMF for each piece of responding apparatus.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Karl,

Thank you! I thought so but wanted to make sure. I'll get that programmed in and verify when I can. It's CDF LNU West in Cloverdale, close enough to Napa County! 8)

Regards,

-Frank C.
Karl NVW wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:09 pm
You should need only the QCII A/B function set for the tone pair 143/142. Sounds like Napa County CA first wakes up the entire stationhouse with QC2, followed by a 4-digit DTMF for each piece of responding apparatus.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Still having issues, not sure if it's because of the first three 1000 Hz beeps and DTMF prior to the QCII...

Anyone got an idea?

Regards,

-Frank C.
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

Be more specific - "Still having issues" doesn't tell us what you are or are not hearing, nor your expectations.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Apologizes Karl, usually I'm more descriptive. The QCII is not "opening" the audio circuit when the tone out happens.

I have another radio that I have set to the channel without QCII (Kenwood but it's a whole different story!), and I can hear the full dispatch there, but NO AUDIO on the XTL5000 Consolette.

Regards,

-Frank C.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

FWIW, They use the 1000Hz tone in various ways, to ALERT period. So for the Morning Reports, it's a QUICK 1000HZ (210ms?) tone. Pre-Alert on calls is three 1000Hz tones at the following below...So I guess I need to have the radio UNMUTE for the ONE 1000Hz tone for the Morning Reports and then Pre-Alert to the QCII tones. Does that make sense?

Frequency: 1000 Hz (standard 1 kHz tone)
Duration: 210ms per beep
Spacing: 85ms

Regards,

-Frank C.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

So I guess I need an external controller to do this...? Apparently doing all three decodes isn't possible natively which sounds really silly.

Anyone have an idea?

Regards,

-Frank C.

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”