XTS/XTL on 700 MHz P25 Trunking

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ai4ui
was kf4pxz

XTS/XTL on 700 MHz P25 Trunking

Post by ai4ui »

I am certain this has been covered before. My search on here, and Google in general, yielded nothing.

I work for the local Sheriff's Office Radio Shop. We have a mix of XTS/XTL/APX radios and operate on a 800 MHz P25 system. We are the sole repair & service provider for all county government subscriber agencies on this system, and the system itself is operated by city utilities. A neighboring county has recently cut over from VHF to a 700 MHz P25 system. In the spirit of interop we have been given 4 talkgroups on their system and provided an ASK and templates for these talkgroups. I can add the 700 system into all the APX radio templates with no problem. I can add the 700 system into all our XTL5000 mobile templates with no problem. However, some of the XTS5000s (not all) won't accept it and seemingly none of the XTL2500s accept it.

On the radio templates which won't accept the 700 system, I get an "invalid system" error. It doesn't matter if I drag-n-drop, or hand enter the data, I get this error. The frequencies of this system range from 771-774 MHz, well within the capabilities of all these radios and all the problem children operate on the various conventional 700 MHz interop frequencies.

Why doesn't this work? How do I fix it?

The minimum feature set of the affected radios is:

G51 SMARTZONE Systems Operation
G806 ASTRO Digital Operation
G173 SMARTZONE OMNILINK Multizone Operation
G361 ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking Systems Operation
G114 Enhanced Digital ID Display

The firmware revision of the particular radio I read to make this post is R12.00.11. However, I have some R20 XTS5k portables which won't accept the 700 system either. The agency affected the most by this is the county fire-rescue department, and they are not going to replace their XTL25000s until the radios are dead dead dead...
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
C17LVFD

Re: XTS/XTL on 700 MHz P25 Trunking

Post by C17LVFD »

Is the radio rebanding checked in the General Trunking tab of the radio?

Seth
Seth
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

Yes on the reband check box. Here is what I know so far...

We sent a radio over to the neighbor and they were able to put the system in it. I can clone this template into the other radios as long as the feature sets match. For radios that do not, drag and drop breaks it. If I go into the personality and make any changes, it breaks it. Manually creating the personality side by side does not work. We once thought it was a key permission issue, but then surely we wouldn't be able to make any changes on any of the radios we have.

I thought I was pretty good with the Astro25 CPS, but this has me feeling stupid.
jry

Post by jry »

Sounds like a tough one.

You may want to ask over on the Communications Support forum aka the old P25 site.

There may be more expertise for this type of problem over there
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

jry wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:39 pm
Sounds like a tough one.

You may want to ask over on the Communications Support forum aka the old P25 site.

There may be more expertise for this type of problem over there
Thanks for the advice. I'm a member, but haven't really ever spent much time on the site. Then there is the reluctance of many to share info on building trunking templates because of hackers. I get that too.

I have a conference call set up with the system manager of our neighboring system tomorrow and I'm hoping they will shed some light on this, as in share whatever voodoo black magic they did to make the damn thing work..
jry

Post by jry »

understand ...would be good to know what you find since I have run into similar issues .

Typically I have been able to brute force my way around them by the approaches you tried

I have an even worse customer base that still has XTS3000's in service and even a few Astro Spectra Plus units.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

If I had to take a stab at it, when they made your child key they used the APX configuration and not the XTS/XTL in the ASK software.
When you make a child key with the APX not all of the permissions are granted to the X series, and I believe cloning is one of them.

Have them make you a key using the XTS/XTL configuration and I'm pretty certain that the issues will go away.

Mark
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

N4DES wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:10 pm
If I had to take a stab at it, when they made your child key they used the APX configuration and not the XTS/XTL in the ASK software.
When you make a child key with the APX not all of the permissions are granted to the X series, and I believe cloning is one of them.

Have them make you a key using the XTS/XTL configuration and I'm pretty certain that the issues will go away.

Mark
This is absolutly the problem. I can do pretty much whatever with APX templates. I have reached out to the system admin and am waiting for a reply. It really is a lot of trouble for a dozen or so radios that should have been replaced long ago...
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

The issue was a system key that did not have Astro25 permissions. This has been resolved today.

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”