APX CPS Struggle

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

APX CPS Struggle

Post by fineshot1 »

What monkey moron group generated the APX CPS?

First usage is a blunder bust! Just trying to use it
without any former knowledge of it is EXTREMELY frustrating!!!
I guess you could say i am way behind the times as compared
to many of you that have had to deal with this for quite some
time now.

The difference between the XTS and APX CPS is like the difference
between the universe and solar system. The XTS CPS i consider user
friendly and the APX CPS i would catagorize as user hostile and it is
so very slow to respond to any clicks.

Someone please tell me there is something better on the horizon.
fineshot1
NJ USA
RFguy

Re: APX CPS Struggle

Post by RFguy »

Are you comparing to XTS3000 or XTS5000? Astro25 for XTS5000 was a big change over XTS3000, but once you get used to it, it was far better.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

RFguy wrote:Are you comparing to XTS3000 or XTS5000? Astro25 for XTS5000 was a big change over XTS3000, but once you get used to it, it was far better.

He was asking about the APX software.

I have to agree that it is set up completely different than the Astro P25 software. At least the Astro software that the XTL and XTS radios used was logical. The APX software has you hunting all over the place for the simple sections you would normally need to go into and change or add stuff into.

At one of the classes I was at that Motorola put on, this same question came up. The instructor told us that they went to a number of new users and got their feedback on how to arrange the software. Everyone in the class asked what country and language the people were using when they asked about the software. Because nothing is done logically. The steps you need to go through don't flow. You end up going back and forth before you end up with a complete channel entry with TX, RX and PL entries along with the display information.

The entry areas are there, just not where you would expect to find them. I have to agree that they used morons to write the software. It is not going to change.

Jim
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

RFguy wrote:Are you comparing to XTS3000 or XTS5000? Astro25 for XTS5000 was a big change over XTS3000, but once you get used to it, it was far better.
The comparison i made was between the XTS/XTL CPS and the APX CPS, i thought my post was pretty self explanitory. I think
i put it in an easy to understand terms. I mentioned nothing about an XTS3K
fineshot1
NJ USA
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

Astro CPS was itself daunting "without any former knowledge"....so was Astro 25 CPS. Did you expect better with APX CPS? (which is a far more advanced radio)
If you're not familiar with or trained to use this software, you're going to have a hard time with it no doubt. Motorola doesn't design this software with "novice ease of use" in mind.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

sjxts3000 wrote:Astro CPS was itself daunting "without any former knowledge"....so was Astro 25 CPS. Did you expect better with APX CPS? (which is a far more advanced radio)
If you're not familiar with or trained to use this software, you're going to have a hard time with it no doubt. Motorola doesn't design this software with "novice ease of use" in mind.
My experience was just the opposite as yours. I found that Astro 25 CPS was easy peasy to self learn.
As Jim said above it is logical in its structure and intuitive to learn. Hence my post regarding the
APX CPS which is very much the not Intuitive and slow as a barge going up stream. Yes i am using
all new PC platforms with the APX and they are about the normal speed platforms you can get
in todays PC environment so that is not part of the slowness problem.
fineshot1
NJ USA
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

fineshot1 wrote:
The comparison i made was between the XTS/XTL CPS and the APX CPS, i thought my post was pretty self explanitory. I think
i put it in an easy to understand terms. I mentioned nothing about an XTS3K
True, no mention of XTS3K, or XTS5K for that matter. There is only mention of XTS in your original post and as you know the difference in in XTS3000 and XTS5000 CPS is vast.

I find greater similarities of APX CPS to Astro25 CPS, so yes I would agree going from XTS3K CPS to APX CPS are worlds apart.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

The struggle is REAL.
I love the APX subscriber radios. APX CPS is rubbish.

Especially when you use the competitor's suite, such as EF Johnson's ARMADA. APX CPS looks like something some laid off Google employee vomited up. It's confusing, it's bloated, it crawls on a modern i5/i7 CPU on a 64 bit Windows with 8GB of RAM.

But hey, as the word around my shop goes "it is what it is"
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Wiregeek

Post by Wiregeek »

I could handle the non intuitive and asinine methodology and workflow imposed by APX CPS if it weren't for the performance. My workhorse isn't a slacker of a machine, but with two APX codeplugs and an XTL5000 codeplug open I'm looking at delays that make it blatantly obvious that I'm completely used up for CPU or memory. There's no good freaking reason for that to be the case, not when even an APX codeplug is well under a megabyte (ignoring voice announcements).

What the blazes is going on there, moto? I'm tempted to drag my gaming workstation in to the shop and bless it for an APX CPS install, let's see how 4.8ghz of hexacore CPU with 32gb of ram handles that dog!
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

There must be something else going on here....
I have an i7-4770 8-core system (not very recent) with 12 GB of RAM running Win7 64-bit.

I have two APX CPS instances running.... drag-n-drop operation and I have both instances targeted on the "Conventional Personality - Table View" mode (which seems to suck up the most RAM in that view).

APX CPS on Codeplug 1 has 174 MB of RAM used
APX CPS on Codeplug 2 has 194 MB of RAM used

Conversely....
Firefox (latest version) with ten (10) tabs open on various sites/pages (nothing with moving video or streaming media) is using 530 MB of RAM.
Even if I close every tab except for three (3) tabs on this forum (various threads), it's using 305 MB.

And my graphics card isn't anything spectacular either... it's an AMD Radeon with only a measly 1 GB of RAM. My monitor is at 1920x1080 and 60 Hz. This isn't a very powerful PC and it seems to run APX CPS just fine.

I understand a lot of people don't have PC's this power... or monitors this big... but I have not had that big of a problem with APX CPS.

But /\/\ does need to tone it down on the cluttered layout of CPS. That's way over the top.

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”