APX8000XE vs/ APX8000HXE

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

APX8000XE vs/ APX8000HXE

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Does anyone know the differences between these 2 portables?

The only 2 things I can glean from the current ECAT are: (1) the HXE is HazLoc Div 1, and the regular XE is HazLoc Div 2, and 2) the HXE is packaged in a taller housing vs/ the shorter case of the XE (for some unknown reason). I get that, but does anyone know what the actual hardware deltas are?

Also, for some weird reason, the HXE APB pricing is not in the current July 2019 ECAT, only all of its option prices. No top line basic HXE radio price is shown in the ECAT, like a mistake/incomplete. I wonder if the difference in price is limited to the $800 upgrade cost for the rugged housing of the XE, and perhaps this is already included in the base price of the HXE? Just wondering, as I get the feeling the XE may be on the way out (new as it is!), and will soon be replaced by the HXE.

Thanks, in advance, for any help on this.
Karl NVW

Re: APX8000XE vs/ APX8000HXE

Post by Karl NVW »

Nothing new, it's been that way for decades, going way back to the feud between Underwriters Labs and Factory Mutual. It's the same concept with Hazardous Location Listings that the FCC applies to pending hardware type approvals: Product cannot be offered for sale until the approval process is completely documented and granted by the regulatory agency's lab. Showing a price for the HXE model in the ECAT list legally constitutes an offer to sell.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

OK, thanks, Karl. Wow, so it was introduced a full year go, yet still no approval.

But, do you know what the physical differences are, other than the case height?
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

There once was a time when I could have answered that question, but I am no longer included in the Product Development loop. Nowadays I don't know any more than the rest of the readers.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

No worries, Karl, and thanks very much for trying. I hear you. No more ECAT, either. You have to go online realtime now, and access the Product Catalog for APB pricing. Strictly Dealers only. This way, us civilians need to contact our dealer. It’s OK, just less convenient, and less fast. Not sure what happens when MOL goes away in 2 years, in terms of searching for parts, accessories, and pricing for same.

Anyways, if anyone else on the Batboard knows the physical deltas between the APX8000XE and APX8000 HXE, pls weigh in. Only physical deltas I know about right now are case size, and enhanced sealing on the HazLoc Div I HXE.

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”