APX7000: Changing the Bands

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Forum rules
Share your enhancements here! Examples are out of band, scan list increases, other general trickery. What is not permitted is the discussion regarding adding features (aka flash options) which you can still purchase from Motorola for current subscriber products including discussion regarding Depot on current products.
n4ogl
What radios do you own?: APX7K, XPR7550e

APX7000: Changing the Bands

Post by n4ogl »

I've got an APX7000 in VHF/800 configuration (for which I use 800 for volunteer work for a local Sheriff's office, and VHF for the local Ham stuff). I bought the radio because our department simply doesn't have enough radios for the volunteers and I didn't feel safe out there without a 'lifeline.'

I'm moving and will be leaving the department, so I wanted to see if converting the APX to a VHF/UHF (Range 1) is feasible. I imagine it involves replacing one of the RF decks, but I thought the brilliant minds here could provide some advice. :lol:

Is the best solution to send it to /\/\? Is this something I just describe, or is there a service code? I can't be the first owner of an APX that wanted to do this.

Thanks for the guidance.

Mark
Mark
Back home, again, in California.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: APX7000: Changing the Bands

Post by N4KVE »

While anything is possible, it wouldn't be cost effective. The best thing you could do is sell the radio you no longer need, & buy the radio you want, hopefully for the same price. GARY
n4ogl
What radios do you own?: APX7K, XPR7550e

Post by n4ogl »

Having no idea of whether this is possible, I ask: is it possible to carry over the software options (and Bluetooth board) I purchased to the new radio (if I go that route)?
N4KVE wrote:While anything is possible, it wouldn't be cost effective. The best thing you could do is sell the radio you no longer need, & buy the radio you want, hopefully for the same price. GARY
Mark
Back home, again, in California.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

+1 for Gary's recommendation.

IF you can get /\/\ to agree to rebuild/change bands/whatever you want to call it - likely you could have bought a proper radio for the same cost and time investment. And no, the software options are specific to the hardware.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

I don't think Ma M will do it for you, just like they won't officially convert a model 1.5 XTS2500/XTS5000 to a model 2 or 3 (which doesn't actually entail replacing any controller/RF board).

Wouldn't be cost effective at all. Just sell your radio, lots of demand for the configuration you have.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Actually, If I recall correctly, escomm just had one of these done. Sent the radio in for Motorola to change the bands. I do not recall the cost.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

That's correct, he mentioned it on communications.support forums and that cost was around $1300 or so IIRC.
Begather
New User

Post by Begather »

n4ogl wrote:I've got an APX7000 in VHF/800 configuration (for which I use 800 for volunteer work for a local Sheriff's office, and VHF for the local Ham stuff). I bought the radio because our department simply doesn't have enough radios for the volunteers and I didn't feel safe out there without a 'lifeline.'

I'm moving and will be leaving the department, so I wanted to see if converting the APX to a VHF/UHF (Range 1) is feasible. I imagine it involves replacing one of the RF decks, but I thought the brilliant minds here could provide some advice. :lol:

Is the best solution to send it to /\/\? Is this something I just describe, or is there a service code? I can't be the first owner of an APX that wanted to do this.

Thanks for the guidance.

Mark
When did you purchased APX7000? And what was the cost of it?

Return to “ASTRO Experimental - How to do things a little out of the box”