Need to know how to hack ASTRO 25 CPS for Wide Band

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Forum rules
Share your enhancements here! Examples are out of band, scan list increases, other general trickery. What is not permitted is the discussion regarding adding features (aka flash options) which you can still purchase from Motorola for current subscriber products including discussion regarding Depot on current products.
n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

Need to know how to hack ASTRO 25 CPS for Wide Band

Post by n6fnp »

The post has information which might be applicable to other topic areas, but I think this is the best forum for my question.

I have a 900 MHz XTL2500 mobile which I plan to use on the 900 Ham Band. I HEX edited the CPS to accept frequencies in the ham band and am able to
program the radio. The issue is that there are a lot of ham repeaters that are Wide band (5.0 kHz) and the CPS does not allow keeping a Wide Band 5.0 kHz
selection. I am able to select 5.0 kHz from the bandwidth drop down list, but when I release the mouse button, it reverts to 2.5 kHz Narrow Band. When the
mouse pointer is hovered over the bandwidth section, it turns into the eye glasses indicating that this parameter is not changeable.

What I would like to do is to modify the CPS so that it will allow selecting either 5.0 kHz or 2.5 kHz like it does for UHF and VHF radios. Is there is anyone that
knows how to do this, please let me know. Even the knowledge on how the CPS determines if wide bandwidth is allowed for a particular band would be very
useful.
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Re: Need to know how to hack ASTRO 25 CPS for Wide Band

Post by nukedude »

The only way I have been able to keep wideband capability on any of my Motorola equipment is to go through their "training" Powerpoint, get it logged onto my account and then add the "Entitlement ID" to my CPS software. This was for MotoTrbo CPS.

For PR1500 handhelds, it required Motorola to write a CPS patch, and for the correct firmware to be installed in the radio.

There was some arguing between my company and Motorola on type acceptance and how they were going to allow us to use wide and narrow channels in the same radio. Where I work, we have narrowband licensed frequencies and also need to use marine VHF in wideband, in the same radio. Motorola had blessed this use in the PR1500 handhelds we bought and then changed the CPS to narrow only. So we argued and got them to change the CPS software.
N9LLO

Re: Need to know how to hack ASTRO 25 CPS for Wide Band

Post by N9LLO »

commercial 900 has always been narrowdand AFIK so no entitlement key or software hack will get around the narrow only RX filters.
Thats why Ham 900 repeaters run narrowband at 900 also.

Chris
N9LLO

Return to “ASTRO Experimental - How to do things a little out of the box”