P25 System Configuaration Question

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pfd radio

P25 System Configuaration Question

Post by pfd radio »

My County operates a UHF P25 system.

Is there any issues with how the subscriber radio are identified numbering wise.

Back story - We are trying to get the County Fire Chief radios on the system to monitor the Police Department. The response that we are getting is that due to an error in radio numbering the system does not have the ability (capacity) to add these additional radios. Does this sound like a plausible situation? The reason that they need the radios, rather than a scanner, is due to encryption on the Law Enforcement talk groups.

The identifies are either 7 or 8 digit ids.

Example of some Radio ID's
fineshot1

Re: P25 System Configuaration Question

Post by fineshot1 »

yes - this seems like a plausible situation to me.

when a system purchase is being negociated the purchasing agency
also purchases a license for a finite amount of ID's. If the amount
of ID's on this system is near the limit and more ID's are needed for
additional radios a new license that adds more ID's must be purchased
in order to be able for the system to handle more radio ID's.
fineshot1
NJ USA
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

That said, if the situation is what fineshot outlined, you can add additional subscriber capacity licences in blocks of 500, for not too much additional cost.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

Most users elect to field-add the encryption capability into their existing radios acquired in the last several years, which would use those existing IDs and should not require extra system ID licenses. That would allow your fire chief vehicles to talk encrypted on fire or law enforcement TGs as your governing user committee desires.
On the other hand, if your intent is to buy several additional new subscriber radios, you should check the system fleet map for 'ID holes' that can be filled using non-sequential Unit ID numbers. Be sure the backup control stations at your dispatch center consoles are also upgraded for encryption to match the chief cars. The last thing you and dispatch need is to lose that monitoring ability when SHTF in its many possible forms.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

The numbering scheme doesn't matter at all, at least it didn't when I migrated from a 3.0 SmartX to a P25 using totally different EID's.
The SmartX used sub 65K and the P25 users I have populated to date have been in the 5 Million, 7 Million, 8 Million, and 9 Million ranges and all were/are interoperable and there should be no reason at all why they shouldn't be able to communicate if they are all on the same infrastructure.

In short, if they are already on the system and the radio has a valid ID it doesn't need a new one to be on another departments talk-groups on the same system. I would think that they have some interagency talk-groups, so same situation using the same EID's.

Would it maybe be a political thing that the PD doesn't want to hand over their encryption key and just making an excuse?

Return to “Smartnet/Smartzone/Project 25 (Phase I/II) Systems”