MCC7500 Questions

Discussion about Centracom (Button & LED / CRT / Gold / Elite), MC Series (MC5500/7100/7500), and legacy console equipment.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dasuriano

MCC7500 Questions

Post by dasuriano »

We're looking at taking advantage of some added technology in our dispatch center. We run a P25 VHF conventional network that is scheduled to be upgraded to either a simulcast P25 conventional network or the state 700mhz network. We're in the process of transitioning from XTS3000s and Astro Spectras to the APX series. We have several things that we are looking at enabling.

All new APXs are being ordered with AES and our consoles are already equipped with it. We currently have a wonky setup where the consoles are patched into a phone line to record the radio audio. Not our setup, but what we are stuck with at the moment. But it seems that we cannot do secure from the console when there is an active patch. Or is there a way to enable that?

We also are trying to utilize the GPS features of the radios, but when we do so, the consoles cannot hear us. We noticed mostly with encryption on, but it does the same in the clear. As of right now, we do not have a way to view the GPS data, but are looking into that as well. The other radios could hear each other fine, it was just the console that had issues.

We are also trying to use statuses as well. Is there a way to get them to make some sort of audible alert on the screen? It displays what we want, but unless the dispatcher is staring at the unit activity window, they're getting missed.
Jim202

Re: MCC7500 Questions

Post by Jim202 »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but there are a number of details that would help to determine what your problems might be and some steps to take to trying to resolve your issues.

First of all, it would help if people knew where your located.

Next it would help to know what radio system your talking about.

Do you have any idea what version software and firmware your consoles are using?

Some features in the radios are dependent on both the firmware and software version the radios have installed in them.

Some solutions take the understanding of what you have to see if what your asking for is able to be accomplished without changes to the equipment you have.

Jim
dasuriano

Post by dasuriano »

I'd rather not mention what system it is, but we are located in NJ. I'll have to leave that part vague. But I can tell you that our system is outdated, hence our planned upgrade. We are running Quantars for our base radios as well as repeaters.

Versions are Elite R7.16.56.00. And MCC 7500 R16.56.00.
Ranger522
What radios do you own?: APX8000, everything ASTRO

Post by Ranger522 »

I'm having the same issue with GPS enabled. Sent you a PM, thanks
My Radios:
Motorola- APX8500/8000/7500/7000/6500, ASTRO Spectra, XTS3000, XTL5000, XTS5000, HT1000, MCS2000, MCC7500, MaraTrac, GTR8000/Quantar/K-Core/IMW/CompassCom AVL
Kenwood- TK-8160, TH-F6
Datron- Gardian Mobile/Portable
Thales- Racal T25
Yaesu- FT8900
More.....
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

You are about to realize that some signalling features that work over simplex channels with analog modulation don't work the same, if at all, on a P25 backbone. Most of those you identified will function in a significantly different fashion. Your department's technical and operational experts must be deeply involved in discussions about the system architecture so they can wisely evaluate the various proposals and eventually buy something that works properly. It will require compromises by both the suppliers and users, and don't be shocked when meetings degrade to short periods of loud yelling by all parties seated around the table.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
a1emt

Post by a1emt »

Karl NVW wrote: It will require compromises by both the suppliers and users, and don't be shocked when meetings degrade to short periods of loud yelling by all parties seated around the table.
That made me laugh (because it happens 8) ) When talking about radio systems, you have hardware, software and human-ware.... the human-ware is always the most difficult part!
d119

Post by d119 »

Karl NVW wrote:You are about to realize that some signalling features that work over simplex channels with analog modulation don't work the same, if at all, on a P25 backbone. Most of those you identified will function in a significantly different fashion. Your department's technical and operational experts must be deeply involved in discussions about the system architecture so they can wisely evaluate the various proposals and eventually buy something that works properly. It will require compromises by both the suppliers and users, and don't be shocked when meetings degrade to short periods of loud yelling by all parties seated around the table.
If those features do not work on P25 systems, the CPS won't let you enable them in such an environment. Something isn't configured properly. There is also likely back-end equipment required to extract the GPS data and present it to another system that can display it, I know of no consoles that will display GPS information, you need some sort of dedicated mapping/GIS system to present the data to, which can then display the units location on a map. As far as I know there is no way for the coordinates to just appear on a console like a radio ID or status, if that is what you are seeking.

You need to figure out the direction your system is headed, and then engage with the proper level of technical support to get the system where you want it, especially if this is a life/safety critical system.
jmfirefighter20
What radios do you own?: /\/\ AS, APX7000

Post by jmfirefighter20 »

d119 wrote: If those features do not work on P25 systems, the CPS won't let you enable them in such an environment. Something isn't configured properly. There is also likely back-end equipment required to extract the GPS data and present it to another system that can display it, I know of no consoles that will display GPS information, you need some sort of dedicated mapping/GIS system to present the data to, which can then display the units location on a map. As far as I know there is no way for the coordinates to just appear on a console like a radio ID or status, if that is what you are seeking.
Exactly. In the Motorola ASTRO25 world you'd need the IV&D system Moto sells, along with a Moto supplied or 3rd party program to grab and display the GPS data from the radios......
Joshua
W1DPT
Raymond, NH

Return to “Consoles”