12V power cable run for 2012 Outback 2.5i

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

k3td
What radios do you own?: MCS2000, MTX9250, XPR7550e

12V power cable run for 2012 Outback 2.5i

Post by k3td »

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on routing the 12V dc cable from the battery through the front bulkhead near the center console. I tried probing with a steel antenna rod but couldn't find any place where I could get the rod through. Radio will be a 30 watt 900 MHz dash mount.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Tad, K3TD
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: 12V power cable run for 2012 Outback 2.5i

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Tad,

I have a 2011 Outback that runs the car's Icom 208 at 55 watts just fine off the power connector
in the rear compartment. I'd be glad to share some installation details with you if you think it might be helpful.

That 30-watt radio will run fine off the power connector in the armrest.

I have a Motorola 7500 that going into my car this week, and I intend to keep the 208 in place for
PS monitoring, although obviously I'd be nuts to try to transmit with both units at the same time.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
k3td
What radios do you own?: MCS2000, MTX9250, XPR7550e

Re: 12V power cable run for 2012 Outback 2.5i

Post by k3td »

Tom, thanks so much for the quick reply and the offer to share some install details. I would really appreciate that.

I thought about the 12v in the armrest/console but was concerned I might have RFI issues - glad to hear that may work as it will make things much simpler. I assume the same would go for the rear power too in case I decide to install the radio as a two piece?

Congratulations on the 7500!
Tad, K3TD

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”