2012 Tahoe PPV Firewall Pass Through Passenger Side

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr061
was KB9KST

2012 Tahoe PPV Firewall Pass Through Passenger Side

Post by jmr061 »

Thought I would throw this out there so I don't have to invent the wheel again. Is there an easy place on the 2012 Tahoe PPV to pass wires through on the passenger side of the firewall?

I just need to run three wires (siren speaker and separating the tail lamp and headlight flasher).

Thanks

Jason
JeffFireRadio

Re: 2012 Tahoe PPV Firewall Pass Through Passenger Side

Post by JeffFireRadio »

I couldn't find one I was happy with at all (mine is an LTZ, though). I made one with a 1" holesaw behind the wheel well liner. It had surprisingly excellent accessibility on the inside, yet just high enough behind the dash high to be out of the way of feet and floorboard cargo (and not visible). The location will be apparent if you remove the wheel well liner. It's also a self-evident location from the inside once you've looked at the outside. The logistics is also outstanding to stay out of wheel spray, despite it's already behind the plastic wheelwell liner. I secured the wiring in 3/4" split loom (taped) and a liquitite 1" fitting (fitting on the outside, threads/nut on the inside). Hope this helps.

- Jeff
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I will give that a try. Thanks

Jason
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I have always managed to take a screwdriver or drill through the existing grommets in the firewall by the steering wheel, emergency brake cable or main cable harness feed. There is always room. Have been doing this for years in many different vehicles including a number of police and fire units.

Jim
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Hmmm...unless he's drving a European car up there in Wisconsin (or a driver's ed police Tahoe with dual controls), his request for a passenger side access point wouldn't include the option of using a steering column, emergency brake cable, or a main cable harness grommet. 8)
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

I havent had a tahoe in the shop in a while. I will look the next time. We generally run the hole in the firewall on the drivers side. The battery is on the passenger side against the firewall and that makes it difficult to access the firewall. If its a police package there should be some prewired leads for speaker in the grille and some extras that you can extend to do the flasher. Ill check my book at the shop to confirm
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

On a Tahoe PPV SSV, the facotry provided pass there area is on the driver side. The firewall has an area that was designed to have a hole drilled in it with out reducing the crash strengh of the fire wall. Take the extra time and cable and run it on the driver side.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”