XTL5000 Antenna Question

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lyndonrescue13
New User

XTL5000 Antenna Question

Post by lyndonrescue13 »

n00b: I just purchased an VHF XTL5000, high power 110W. I have some questions about the antenna I plan on putting on it.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/i ... cts_id=721

This is a Laird 18in whip, rated for 152-162 mhz. Will this be ok with a 110W radio? I have never used 110 before.

Also, 151.235 will be a frequency that I will be using the most, but all other frequencies are between 152-162. Will this antenna be sufficient for that 151.235 frequency?

Also, I am daily sure the antenna connector for this is a mini-UHF, can someone confirm?

I just ordered it, and have no access to a manual yet, I just want to get the antenna ordered now so I am not waiting as long when I get it to get it up and running! :)

Thank for your reading and responses.
Jim202

Re: XTL5000 Antenna Question

Post by Jim202 »

lyndonrescue13 wrote:n00b: I just purchased an VHF XTL5000, high power 110W. I have some questions about the antenna I plan on putting on it.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/i ... cts_id=721

This is a Laird 18in whip, rated for 152-162 mhz. Will this be ok with a 110W radio? I have never used 110 before.

Also, 151.235 will be a frequency that I will be using the most, but all other frequencies are between 152-162. Will this antenna be sufficient for that 151.235 frequency?

Also, I am daily sure the antenna connector for this is a mini-UHF, can someone confirm?

I just ordered it, and have no access to a manual yet, I just want to get the antenna ordered now so I am not waiting as long when I get it to get it up and running! :)

Thank for your reading and responses.

The normal practice is to tune the antenna to the frequency or frequencies that you will be transmitting on the most. Your trying to keep the SWR down as low as possible. You may be able to operate OK with the antenna your planning to use. The real test would be to put the power meter on and see just what the reflected or return power is.

The XTL mobile uses a mini UHF connector. You can obtain adapters from a mini UHF female to a N male to go into most power meters. You will have to make up a short cable to go from the other side of the power meter to the radio.

If the antenna cable comes without the mini UHF connector attached, you will need the hex crimp tool to crimp the round ring onto the shield of the coax at the rear of the connector. Radio Shack did sell a tool for about $20 some time back.

Jim
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: XTL5000 Antenna Question

Post by FireCpt809 »

Without over thinking it. Yes that antenna will work, If you can order the cable with the Mini UHF installed. I have installed numerous XTL, Astro spectras,CDM's Kenwoods, and Icom using that antenna setup. It will work just fine.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”