Using HT1000 vehicle charger w/ IMPRES batteries?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

silv333
New User

Using HT1000 vehicle charger w/ IMPRES batteries?

Post by silv333 »

Hello all! When we made the transition to the IMPRES system a few years ago, the HT1000 "trickle" vehicle chargers we're left in place. These are the chargers that have the three light bulbs across the face with "rapid, trickle, etc." written on them, and also have a switch with "RPTR" and "OFF" as the labels.

Are these chargers okay for use with the IMPRES batteries, more specific the XTS-5000 portable radios?

If you're using these chargers with IMPRES, have you noticed decreased battery life or any other issues?

Thanks in advance!
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Re: Using HT1000 vehicle charger w/ IMPRES batteries?

Post by MT2000 man »

I don't know about that specific charger, but we run the RLN4884B Travel chargers. This specific charger is NOT an Impres charger, but from what I've experienced, as long as you throw the radio on an Impres charger at the station / house once a week or so get the Impres memory back, it should work fine. Heck, my XTS5000's battery gauge still operates fine when on the travel charger, but like I said, be sure to stick it in the "real" Impres charger at least once a week.
RFguy

Re: Using HT1000 vehicle charger w/ IMPRES batteries?

Post by RFguy »

As long as the charger is compatible with the chemistry battery that you're charging, it should be good. As MT2000 man said, to get the benefits of IMPRES, put it in an IMPRES charger once a week.

You said the charger you have is a "trickle" charger, but it has a rapid charge light? If it's an old type that switches to a constant current trickle charge at the end of the rapid charge cycle, it's not the best for NiMH batteries and certainly not good for li-ion batteries.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”