Antenna placement questions.

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Antenna placement questions.

Post by mikegilbert »

I finally got around to installing my XTL5000s in my daily driver. I've decided to ditch my NMO Antenex lip mount, grow some NMO balls and "Drill, Baby, Drill!"

My problem lies in where to install the NMO mounts. my plan is to put a UHF Antenex Phantom Elite and a unity gain 1/4 wave VHF antenna on the car. Ideally, I'd like to mount them on either side of the existing roof-mount FM antenna. My concern is the aluminum roof rack will interfere. Mounting them on the trunk would be easier, but their performance would be compromised.

Since many of you do this for a living, what say you?

Thanks!

Used a Panavise 75138-200 mount for the 03 head.

KX5MOT
was JonboyOK
What radios do you own?: Motorola Talkabout 250

Re: Antenna placement questions.

Post by KX5MOT »

I had two antennas mounted in almost the same location shown on the trunk lid on my Mustang. I drilled the holes and used a black 1/4 wave for VHF and a black Larsen open coil for UHF and I was quite pleased with the performance and they weren't all that noticeable either as far as stealth goes. I think the antennas on the trunk would be satisfactory.

Just my 2 cents worth.
"Archers."
"I beg pardon, sire. Won't we hit our own troops?"
"Yes....but we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves....attack"
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

Thanks, Jon! I'm going to skip the roof and stick 'em on the trunk.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Ya, trunk should work OK. Probably a glass B to drop the headliner and the pillar covers to route the coax if going through the roof
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

Yeah, It was a PITA to drop it last time. The factory FM antennas suffer from corrosion, so I had to replace that several years ago. Not something I was really looking forward to.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

We do almost all our radio antennas on the trunk at my shop.. thats 600 cars a year and never have had any complaints
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Nice job on the antenna graphics, btw.
ILuvXMRadio
What radios do you own?: Plenty

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

Mike, can you share a picture of the back side of your o3 mount? I'm curious how/what you used on the panavise.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Mike,

Be advised that Comtelco makes a UHF hockey puck antenna in black or white for about $38 net direct from the factory. I've used them and they work well, plus they claim 3DB gain. In the white version your UHF antenna at least would be hard to see. NMO base too, of course.

And I'm curious, too, about your 03 mounting. I run a trunk mounted 7500 and 03 head with the 03 lying flat on a standard mic clip on my Outback's shifter tunnel. Also, are you using two of the 03s?

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

The mount looks similar to the ones that www.pro-fit-intl.com has for custom OEM mounts. I've used one for various cellphones and their custom lip mounts.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
banks
New User
What radios do you own?: Astro

Post by banks »

ILuvXMRadio wrote:Mike, can you share a picture of the back side of your o3 mount? I'm curious how/what you used on the panavise.
I believe it might be an 'adjustable mounting bracket' that Panavise sells which allows you to offset from the original mounting position. Drill a couple holes for the mic hangup and you're set.

http://www.panavise.com/index.html?page ... datarq=177

I'm using the proclip version - but it's the same idea.

ILuvXMRadio
What radios do you own?: Plenty

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

Banks... How do you have your 'mic' wired for the O5 head in the console? Do you have a part number for the proclip product?

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”