Larsen NMOQ Antenna Base Installation

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Larsen NMOQ Antenna Base Installation

Post by MotoFAN »

Hi all!

Need help of experienced installers!

I am not sure about proper installation of Larsen NMOQ Antenna Base. I hope that it should be like shown, but I am not sure.

Antenna base came with rubber ring and gasket. Rubber ring fits good to groove in base (as shown), but I am not sure that it's correctly executed assembly. Because of collar (ledge) at bottom gasket. Looks like rubber ring is no needed at all, because collar (ledge) of bottom gasket well fits into groove in antenna base.

Also if to use gasket and rubber ring both, I only can rotate antenna base on 1 1/2 turns. It's really enough???

Who have strong experience or absolutely sure? Please reply ASAP - need to install few antennas soon...
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
wx4cbh

Re: Larsen NMOQ Antenna Base Installation

Post by wx4cbh »

Use one or the other, not both. The o-ring is provided for flat mounting surfaces, and the gasket is provided for slightly curved surfaces. On a flat surface, either is fine and the choice then becomes an aesthetic preference.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

Thank you very much! But IMHO, gasket does not holds its shape when antenna base is tighten. And rubber ring looks like more reliable variant.
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

MotoFAN wrote:Thank you very much! But IMHO, gasket does not holds its shape when antenna base is tighten. And rubber ring looks like more reliable variant.
Use the grease, and then the rings will slip as the base is tightened conforming to the surface.
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

The gasket is supposed to flatten out a bit and conform to the shape of the surface, but not be squashed by over-tightening resulting in distortion of the portion that fits into the groove and compresses against the mounting surface. The gasket also provides a bit of a lock washer action when the base is properly tightened. Just remember to never tighten the plastic antenna base more than a firm hand-tightness or the gasket will compress too much and distort.

My preference for flat surfaces is the o-ring instead of the gasket. Put just enough of the silicone grease on the o-ring to fully coat its entire surface and wipe away the excess before inserting it into the groove. It will then provide the proper seal without excess grease squishing or bleeding out from under the plastic coil body or mount and onto the mounting surface.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

We always use the gasket except on fender brackets where the gasket overhangs the edges.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”