2013 Chevy Impala/XTL2500

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

2013 Chevy Impala/XTL2500

Post by fineshot1 »

Anyone install any XTL radios in a 2013 Chevy Impala yet? I do not have the vehicle yet so I am
just looking for any pics to get any ideas from. I am told there is a police package and noted a
loop of wire down by the front passenger kick plate area when i had a few seconds to look at it
real quick.
fineshot1
NJ USA
fineshot1

Re: 2013 Chevy Impala/XTL2500

Post by fineshot1 »

fineshot1 wrote:Anyone install any XTL radios in a 2013 Chevy Impala yet? I do not have the vehicle yet so I am
just looking for any pics to get any ideas from. I am told there is a police package and noted a
loop of wire down by the front passenger kick plate area when i had a few seconds to look at it
real quick.
Bump - I would think by now someone would have had to do one of these or similar install
since the Ford CV is no longer sold.
fineshot1
NJ USA
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Thank you but besides pics i am looking for someone who has had some experience with installs so i may proceed with a
Don't do this list, or a use this list, etc.
fineshot1
NJ USA
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

9C1/9C3 is not available on the new Impala chassis yet. A dealer I spoke with a few weeks ago could not give me a timeline for release. Fortunately for you this means everything going back to 2006 as far as consoles and mounts will still work.

edit: If, however, you have a non-9C1/9C3 2013 Impala... good luck. The center console is completely taken up by climate and stereo controls and the shifter.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

motorola_otaku wrote:9C1/9C3 is not available on the new Impala chassis yet. A dealer I spoke with a few weeks ago could not give me a timeline for release. Fortunately for you this means everything going back to 2006 as far as consoles and mounts will still work.

edit: If, however, you have a non-9C1/9C3 2013 Impala... good luck. The center console is completely taken up by climate and stereo controls and the shifter.
Just completed one 2013 today, and it has no console, shifter on the colomn. I have no doc on it so how do you tell if it is a 9C1/9C3 ?
Was not allowed to put in a console after i tried and tried to tell them that's the way to do it since eventually there will be two radios
in it at the same time, an XTL2500 and and APX eventually but they never listen to my advice and always want it on the cheap, so right
now just the XTL2500 went in it with a remote head light and siren package. It was a PITA just installing in the NMO mount on the roof
as there is a steel structural reinforcement bar that goes up the middle of the roof. For just me it took me 3 days and i am exhausted as
this thing is a tight beast. :)
fineshot1
NJ USA
Will

Post by Will »

Where do you find the "Ignition" power to control the ON/OFF on a radio?

I see where it is on the police version, but the civilian model does not have that relay box.

BTW, this civ Impala does not have any console.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Will wrote:Where do you find the "Ignition" power to control the ON/OFF on a radio?

I see where it is on the police version, but the civilian model does not have that relay box.

I guess you did not read my initial post in this thread.

I found ignition on one of the wires in the loop of wire under the carpet by the right side kick plate.

This one does have a police package but i have no doc's and was not involved in the veh ordering process
so i have no idea what package this one has or what model Impala it is.
fineshot1
NJ USA
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Impalas come in 2 versions 9C1 and 9C3. Both have the same options. 9C1 is the standard police patrol package. 9C3 is the detective/ street appearance package. The 9C3 has the better trim and looks less like a police car and more like a rental car.

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfl ... _Guide.pdf

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfl ... _FINAL.pdf
Will

Post by Will »

fineshot1 wrote:
Will wrote:Where do you find the "Ignition" power to control the ON/OFF on a radio?

I guess you did not read my initial post in this thread.

I found ignition on one of the wires in the loop of wire under the carpet by the right side kick plate.

This one does have a police package but i have no doc's and was not involved in the veh ordering process
so i have no idea what package this one has or what model Impala it is.
This Impala is just a plain civilian model. And yes I know about the added wiring on the police versions, and have looked at the diagrams for the police versions, but did not find any diagrams for the civilian models.
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

Take a tap off the fuse box. We do that in the shop for non police packages . Then use that to turn on a relay if your drawing any kind of power over a few amps.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

I may be too late, but we wire the loop of wires on the police package Impalas is as follows:

Red with white stripe - 50A constant
Black - ground
Light Green - 30A Switched (Controlled by sending 12V to the Light Blue wire)
Light Blue - Trigger for Light Green wire
Dark Green - 30A Switched (Controlled by sending 12V to the Dark Blue wire)
Dark Blue - Trigger for Dark Green wire
Pink - Switched 12V in Run
Yellow - Switched 12V in Accy
Brown - Speed Sense
Yellow with Black Stripe - Park Sense

We use the yellow for our Arbitrator (camera system) switched power.
We connect the pink to the dark blue and light blue wires. This makes the dark green and light green wires switched 12V when the car is running.

As far as XTL radios, for dash mount, we feed the red/white wire (constant) to a fuse block to provide power for different things, one being the main power for the radio. We then feed the two switched power wires light/dark green to other fuse blocks, which prove the switched power for the radio. For remote setups, we power the brick off of one of the two 12V taps on the passenger side and the control head off of the fuse blocks that I mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
Will

Post by Will »

FireCpt809 wrote:Take a tap off the fuse box. We do that in the shop for non police packages . Then use that to turn on a relay if your drawing any kind of power over a few amps.

Can you describe that fuse location? Please, TKS.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Will wrote:
FireCpt809 wrote:Take a tap off the fuse box. We do that in the shop for non police packages . Then use that to turn on a relay if your drawing any kind of power over a few amps.

Can you describe that fuse location? Please, TKS.
You have to use a test light or a DVM and see which fuses are either hot all the time or with ignition only
and then remove whatever fuse you have chosen and then pull the fuse and look for the hot inbound voltage side
and i would use one like below and not one of those brass bar or piggy back types of taps which can damage the
fuse holder fuse connections. NOTE: The tap i show below is not the same type of fuse for impalas but only for
illustrative purposes.

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayP ... ventPage=2
Last edited by fineshot1 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
fineshot1
NJ USA
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

RESCUE161 wrote:I may be too late, but we wire the loop of wires on the police package Impalas is as follows:

Red with white stripe - 50A constant
Black - ground
Light Green - 30A Switched (Controlled by sending 12V to the Light Blue wire)
Light Blue - Trigger for Light Green wire
Dark Green - 30A Switched (Controlled by sending 12V to the Dark Blue wire)
Dark Blue - Trigger for Dark Green wire
Pink - Switched 12V in Run
Yellow - Switched 12V in Accy
Brown - Speed Sense
Yellow with Black Stripe - Park Sense

We use the yellow for our Arbitrator (camera system) switched power.
We connect the pink to the dark blue and light blue wires. This makes the dark green and light green wires switched 12V when the car is running.

As far as XTL radios, for dash mount, we feed the red/white wire (constant) to a fuse block to provide power for different things, one being the main power for the radio. We then feed the two switched power wires light/dark green to other fuse blocks, which prove the switched power for the radio. For remote setups, we power the brick off of one of the two 12V taps on the passenger side and the control head off of the fuse blocks that I mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Scott - i found in a single small wire loom (i am told from another third party installer that installed the siren amp) a Red +12V hot 12 gage and a white +12V with ignition small gage. I have many pics but can not host them to post here. I am installing XTL2500 remote head radios not dash mount radios as there is little to no choice for dash mount radios and why i tried to get them to let me install a after market console such as Troy.
fineshot1
NJ USA
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

We use Troy mostly, because their mounts slide under the front seat rail and screw down where the original cup holder goes. We may have another car coming in that I can snap some pics. We'll get a bunch of cars in for de-install and then we'll get a bunch of installs. The camera setups that we use require us to tap into the brake light. If you need that, I can give details on where I tap into the third brake light.
Scott
KE4FHH
Will

Post by Will »

Here is the Add A Circuit Mini blade style fuse tap we use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELO3YRW/ref ... nkCode=asn

I will have to look around for the delayed IGN circuit next time I see that Chevy...
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

Will wrote:I will have to look around for the delayed IGN circuit next time I see that Chevy...
Should be the yellow wire in the police package wiring on the passenger's side.
Scott
KE4FHH
Will

Post by Will »

RESCUE161 wrote:
Will wrote:I will have to look around for the delayed IGN circuit next time I see that Chevy...
Should be the yellow wire in the police package wiring on the passenger's side.
This one IS not a Police package, just plain ol civ model.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

Ah, I see. I can check the standard fuses for you when we get another car in the bay.
Scott
KE4FHH
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

Passenger side kick panel.. Use a test light to find 12v+ with ignition usually a radio circuit and use one of the add a circuit.. Fuse taps suck..Image
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

FireCpt809 wrote:Passenger side kick panel.. Use a test light to find 12v+ with ignition usually a radio circuit and use one of the add a circuit.. Fuse taps suck..Image
DO NOT USE either of those that you displayed. As I told you above they can damage the fuse block fuse connections
pushing them too far apart. I f you want to have to replace your fuse block then go ahead and take your chances.
fineshot1
NJ USA
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

I've used the add a circuit for the last 16 years and yet to have an issue. That's using them in hundreds of 3 letter agencies non police package vehicles.
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Same here (the one on the right), use them for ignition sense lines all the time and haven't had any problems.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

FireCpt809 wrote:I've used the add a circuit for the last 16 years and yet to have an issue. That's using them in hundreds of 3 letter agencies non police package vehicles.
yes - we did use them also and that is why i am trying to give you fellas the benefit of my bad experience.

all of a sudden in short order several of new vehicles we got in had to go back out to the dealership and
they advised us that those taps can be damaging to the fuse blocks. They advised us to use the type i
noted above as those types of taps are actually made with real fuses that have the proper fuse blade dimensions.
NOTE: That was several years ago.
fineshot1
NJ USA
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

I will second fineshot1's experience as we have factory fuse blocks that are damaged due to the extra width of the blades on those type holders. They eventually cause the fuse block terminals to open too wide and will create an open in the circuit. We also have fuses with two fuses/paths inside of them with a solder tap on the top.
Scott
KE4FHH

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”