Motorola XTL1500 Power Problem

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Firedep701
New User

Motorola XTL1500 Power Problem

Post by Firedep701 »

Hello all,

First off... HELP!

I recently purchased a Motorola XTL1500 Model M28SSS9PW1AN. I went to install it today, new power cable, new accessory connector, new microphone all that. After getting the radio installed i went to power it on and... nothing... All i get is a beep, initially after 10 seconds, then one every 30 or so seconds. i tried plugging it into a known working set-up in another vehicle and the radio still didn't work. tried to read and write to the radio, that wouldn't work, tried hitting my head on the steering wheel and still didn't work! :o

Does any one have any ideas? Maybe ran into this before? Thanks in advance for all the help!
Jim202

Re: Motorola XTL1500 Power Problem

Post by Jim202 »

Firedep701 wrote:Hello all,

First off... HELP!

I recently purchased a Motorola XTL1500 Model M28SSS9PW1AN. I went to install it today, new power cable, new accessory connector, new microphone all that. After getting the radio installed i went to power it on and... nothing... All i get is a beep, initially after 10 seconds, then one every 30 or so seconds. i tried plugging it into a known working set-up in another vehicle and the radio still didn't work. tried to read and write to the radio, that wouldn't work, tried hitting my head on the steering wheel and still didn't work! :o

Does any one have any ideas? Maybe ran into this before? Thanks in advance for all the help!

Let me ask some questions here.

Do you have the high current 2 pin connector on the rear of the radio?

Is it supplying the required 12 volts to the radio when you try to turn it on?

Is the emergency pin in the accessory connector your using grounded?

We can't help you without you helping us understand how the entire package is wired that your trying to use.

Jim
Firedep701
New User

Post by Firedep701 »

No problem!

The high current 2 pin connector is installed, red lead to positive, black to chassis ground.

It is supplying 12.42 volts when the vehicle is off. Ignition sense cable is fused at 4amps and has 12.42 volts as well when powered on

The emergency pin IS grounded in the accessory connector.

I tried plugging the radio into another set up in a similar vehicle with a set up that is currently in use and works and it still doesn't power up. In the user guide it tells me to contact a service rep. and that the radio failed self test. just wondering if there is any simple solution (HA nothing simple with motorola) before i send it to motorola.

Thanks for the help!
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

I think this may be in regards to your problem.

FSB NUMBER: FSB10001
APC CODE: 726, 775
DATE: Jul-06
EXPIRES: 12/31/2006
BULLETIN TYPE: Warranty Service
SUBJECT:
XTL1500 – Ignition Sense Stops Working - For Heavy Duty or Large Vehicle Installations
MODELS / SYSTEMS AFFECTED:
All XTL1500 mobiles, not band specific shipped before August 2006. Radios shipped starting in August 2006 will have this kit included with the ignition sense kit.
NOTE: Design enhancements on future model revision will have this circuit built into the XTL1500. Approx. January 2007
SYMPTOM:
XTL1500 Mobile radios with ignition switch power control installed in vehicles using large solenoid switches may be damaged due to large reverse transient voltage spikes produced by these solenoids. When this occurs the XTL1500 ignition sense fails to function properly.
CAUSE:
Design Limitations
RESOLUTION:
Install the ignition sense diode kit (HLN6325B) as seen in the figure below. To order the HLN6325B, contact Customer Care Services at 800-422-4210 and reference this FSB number.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

fineshot1 wrote:I think this may be in regards to your problem.

SUBJECT:
XTL1500 – Ignition Sense Stops Working - For Heavy Duty or Large Vehicle Installations
All XTL1500 mobiles, not band specific shipped before August 2006. Radios shipped starting in August 2006 will have this kit included with the ignition sense kit.
NOTE: Design enhancements on future model revision will have this circuit built into the XTL1500. Approx. January 2007
SYMPTOM:
XTL1500 Mobile radios with ignition switch power control installed in vehicles using large solenoid switches may be damaged due to large reverse transient voltage spikes produced by these solenoids. When this occurs the XTL1500 ignition sense fails to function properly.
CAUSE:
Design Limitations
RESOLUTION:
Install the ignition sense diode kit (HLN6325B) as seen in the figure below. To order the HLN6325B, contact Customer Care Services at 800-422-4210 and reference this FSB number.

The kit may solve the source of the problem, but does nothing to fix any damage already done.

Jim
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Jim202 wrote:

SUBJECT:
SYMPTOM:
CAUSE:
Design Limitations
RESOLUTION:

The kit may solve the source of the problem, but does nothing to fix any damage already done.

Jim
I did not say it does that. That would be the job of the OP. Jim I am simply trying to provide a possible FSB that may cover his problem so you may
want to curb your crapola attitude that I do not care for and is unwarranted.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

fineshot1 wrote:
Jim202 wrote:

SUBJECT:
SYMPTOM:
CAUSE:
Design Limitations
RESOLUTION:

Jim
I did not say it does that. That would be the job of the OP. Jim I am simply trying to provide a possible FSB that may cover his problem so you may
want to curb your crapola attitude that I do not care for and is unwarranted.

What gives you the idea that I have a "crapola attitude" with a simple comment? don't jump my case for simple pointing out the true fact.

If you have been around some of the people that I run into, they would think that doing what the FSB says will fix the radio. This is not the case and it should be clearly spelled out that the FSB will not repair a broken radio.

Cool your jets and put yourself into the customers shoes. How would you take what was wrote here if you were a customer reading it?

Been in this field way too many years to think any customer is a self taught radio tech.

Jim
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Jim202 wrote:Cool your jets and put yourself into the customers shoes. How would you take what was wrote here if you were a customer reading it?

Been in this field way too many years to think any customer is a self taught radio tech.

Jim
If you read my first line in that post to the OP it will say it all {I think this may be in regards to your problem} and I never said the
FSB was in regards to resolve the problem which is what you assumed(the crapola part). I simply gave the OP a starting point which is what any FSB is for a customer and i am both a customer and radio tech and have also been around as a tech for long time, since the crystal days long before programming existed.
So you know the saying about "assuming" things! You may want to take that into account!
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”