Spectra 110w

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w5uy
New User

Spectra 110w

Post by w5uy »

:o Hi Everyone
Had to create new account as my old call sign (K5MSW or K5ILF) no longer are working to I am back with my permanent call W5UY, in Las Cruces. I have used Spectras for several years and have had no problems with the units---all of them were the Tor D 83's----I want to step up to the 110 watt unit, but the ID Number is D83FWA7HA9AK. Now the control head that comes with the radio is the knob type (4-rotary) but the serial number indicates System 9000 supposedly with the radio. Now, I would not mind the rotary control head, but can it be used by someone what knows little about changing control heads? Any help would be appreciated. I know just enough about these radios to be dangerous!

Thanks as usual

Bill, W5UY
Las Cruces, NM
Jim202

Re: Spectra 110w

Post by Jim202 »

w5uy wrote::o Hi Everyone
Had to create new account as my old call sign (K5MSW or K5ILF) no longer are working to I am back with my permanent call W5UY, in Las Cruces. I have used Spectras for several years and have had no problems with the units---all of them were the Tor D 83's----I want to step up to the 110 watt unit, but the ID Number is D83FWA7HA9AK. Now the control head that comes with the radio is the knob type (4-rotary) but the serial number indicates System 9000 supposedly with the radio. Now, I would not mind the rotary control head, but can it be used by someone what knows little about changing control heads? Any help would be appreciated. I know just enough about these radios to be dangerous!

Thanks as usual

Bill, W5UY
Las Cruces, NM

You will have to go in and hack the codeplug to change the control head type.

Take a look at the Mike B site and see if it doesn't help fill in some of the blanks.

http://www.onfreq.com/syntorx/spectra/index.html

I will look for the site with the MOFLAG settings. Depending on which software package you have, you may or may not have access to the MOFLAG settings.

Jim
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Thanks as usual

Bill, W5UY
Las Cruces, NM

Here is the link to the batlabs site that has the info on the MOFLAG settings and how to get there.

http://www.batlabs.com/moflag.html

Jim
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Thanks as usual

Bill, W5UY
Las Cruces, NM

Another link into the secrets of hacking the Spectra radio.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... nging.html

Let us know how you make out. It is hard to kill the Spectra radio. But a word of caution. Make sure you save the original codeplug some place else than in the Motorola archive of the software. if all else fails, you can reload the original codeplug and start over. I use a floppy or put it in a different directory. You will have to restart the Spectra software after you do the save, as it will try and go to where you just saved you original codeplug with any changes you try to save.

The Spectra is a wonderful workhorse radio. I turn down the RF output power as I have a tendency to get into long winded conversations. I also like to use the W9 type control head (9000 series as some call them), as they will offer some features you might like to use.

Jim

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”