2012 Super Duty crew cab install under rear seat?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

2012 Super Duty crew cab install under rear seat?

Post by sjxts3000 »

Have a 110w PM1500 that I'm thinking of installing under the rear seat in the storage area (w/control head up front). Have anyone installed one there? Pics?
The underseat storage looks like below (the center "divider" between the two chambers it removable (for storing a rifle).
There's actually a 12V DC cigarette lighter outlet in that storage area, but I'm thinking I need to tap directly into the battery, right?

FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: 2012 Super Duty crew cab install under rear seat?

Post by FireCpt809 »

We have done it.. That tray comes out . We mounted the chassis mounting plate using 1/4 20 stainless bolt and nut and used fender washers on the bottom side. a one inch hole in the side of the tray to run the power antenna and control cable is plenty. You will need to run 12v to the battery.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

Thanks! Got pics of an install?
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Unfortunately I don't..The shop I work for does a lot of 3 letter agencies and the only ones we take are for internal use.
BigTex1136
What radios do you own?: XTS APX VIKING KENWOOD

Post by BigTex1136 »

I mounted my cdm1250 and a Ma/Com 700m in that same place on my truck. Was sweet place for it with easy service access later. I have not got around to posting the final pics but I did post pics of the console. I need to finish my install up. Still need to mount a cdm750 for tac radio and finish the lights. But great spot.
GOT MODAT?
V188
New User
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra, XTS, Kenwood

Post by V188 »

I mounted mine in my F250 under the rear seat. I mounted the bracket onto a small piece of plywood. Then put a screw into the plywood sticking thru. It holds solid on the carpet, but I can pull it out from under the seat to reprogram, etc.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

Ditched the PM1500 and went with an APX6500. Here's the pics of the install.

SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

Sweet.

Get yourself a sheet of thin, black ABS and fab up a trim plate around the control head. The silver trim ring in the console will pop right out if needed. Make a support lip out of aluminum "L" stock for the front lip of the cup holder and the other edges of the opening. Drop it in and secure in place with a couple of screws into the support lip.
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

That APX looks really nice in there. Did you have to extend the power cord to get them to the battery, or was there some place else to tap power? (I know some PPV have power ran back there already.)
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

nukedude wrote:That APX looks really nice in there. Did you have to extend the power cord to get them to the battery, or was there some place else to tap power? (I know some PPV have power ran back there already.)
Not sure of the PPV (seems that would make sense), but I didn't have to extend the power cable... I had the 20' cable which was plenty.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”