Anybody evr flush mount (split) motorola speaker

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mfdeng5

Anybody evr flush mount (split) motorola speaker

Post by mfdeng5 »

As stated, I want to flush mount some Motorola mobile speakers in a console, not sure the best way to do it? Any pics out there or ideas? Thx Kevin
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Re: Anybody evr flush mount (split) motorola speaker

Post by kb4mdz »

No, but I think it would be awesome.

I do remember seeing this done with a Maxtrac; so only the front portion of the radio was visible. It looked, well, awesome.

Off the top of my head, just pull the speaker apart by taking out the 4 corner screws, then layout the mounting hole pattern on the plate, drill holes and rout out enough clearance for the frame of the speaker cone; assemble.

You've just given me an idea for my bench space.
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

gtriever

Post by gtriever »

kb4mdz wrote:No, but I think it would be awesome.

I do remember seeing this done with a Maxtrac; so only the front portion of the radio was visible. It looked, well, awesome.

Off the top of my head, just pull the speaker apart by taking out the 4 corner screws, then layout the mounting hole pattern on the plate, drill holes and rout out enough clearance for the frame of the speaker cone; assemble.

You've just given me an idea for my bench space.
This is the method I used for a suitcase XTL2500 with one exception. If I remember correctly, I routed a circle big enough for the speaker cone, and butted the frame up against the back of the panel. If I can find pics I'll post them.
mfdeng5

Post by mfdeng5 »

Thx guys, the boat pics are a start for sure, gonna be a pain to line up screws on backside of speaker to be straight!!! Any other pics will be helpful, thx again all. Kevin
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I recall that one of the console manufactures actually made a console face plate to mount the speakers in the console.

Might check into that.

Jason
mfdeng5

Post by mfdeng5 »

Thanks Jason, goonna look in to that! Kevin
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Its Troy

FP-MTRLASPKR

Speaker HSN6001A

5.00" x 5.00"
x 1.25"

Uses 6" Console Space

http://www.troyproducts.com/products/fa ... torola.htm
gtriever

Post by gtriever »

mfdeng5 wrote:Thx guys, the boat pics are a start for sure, gonna be a pain to line up screws on backside of speaker to be straight!!! Any other pics will be helpful, thx again all. Kevin
Here's an easy way to line up the screw holes:

(1) With a small carpenters square mark 2 points down from the top edge of the plate and draw a straight line between them.
(2) Measure the distance between the top and bottom screw posts on the speaker case; add that measurement to the distance from the top edge to the first line and draw a second line parallel to and beneath the first one.
(3) Measure the distance between the two top screw posts on the speaker case. With the square, mark the two leftmost hole positions, then measure over and mark the second set.

Hint: to make your measurements easier, measure the screw hole spacing by measuring from the outer edge of the first screw post to the inner edge of the second... since the size of the posts is identical, that also gives you the center to center hole spacing. The same goes for top to bottom spacing.
mfdeng5

Post by mfdeng5 »

A million thx guys! Gave me some great ideas, will post pics when finished. Kevin
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

I've done it a dozen times, shoot me your email in a PM and I'll pop a couple of pics for you.

Word to the wise, you will need to be able to use back cover of the speaker - or else the audio will get bassy as hell.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
NIFOG291
What radios do you own?: XTS 5000,XTL 5000, APX7000

Post by NIFOG291 »

I know this is an older post but I've had luck taking the split half of the speaker and putting it on a copier. Take the copy and tape it on the console as a template.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

or a chalk(pencil) rubbing like you do on a gravestone...works as well. (and less toner for the office nazis)
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”