Stealth VHF mobile antenna examples

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Stealth VHF mobile antenna examples

Post by sjxts3000 »

Looking for examples of stealth mobile VHF antennas...low profile...not very tall, etc. Looking to cover 146-160 MHz range on the Tx. Prefer to drilling.
tuckerm

Re: Stealth VHF mobile antenna examples

Post by tuckerm »

Antenex Phantom will do it, but for TX you need to tune it within 1mhz I believe.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Don't have high expectations for performance. As tucker mentioned, it will have a very narrow bandwidth. 1-2 Mhz is typical.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

The phantom Elite football shape antenna has a 5 mhz spread and are non-tuneable. The old oil can ones had a 1-2mhz and had the tuning pot. Both are poor performers.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Stealth and VHF in an antenna seldom go together very well as has been said.
VHF Stealth usually requires a large compromise in performance. It never ceases
to amaze me why some people never learn this and keep asking for stealth junk!
fineshot1
NJ USA
BigTex1136
What radios do you own?: XTS APX VIKING KENWOOD

Post by BigTex1136 »

OK I have heard and seen the poor performance out of these oil filter antennas but out of the mix I have 1 Antenex Phantom that blows a 1/4 wave out of the water. Yes my 3db gain whip works the best but this one Antenex Phantom works very well for what it is. I was very surprised and am still very pleased with it.
GOT MODAT?
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

D
Try Tessco they have several models

F
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

I bought them both at Tessco.com a few years back, the Antennex UHF Phantom antenna and VHF "soup" can style that is tunable and 1 MHz range. The VHF was a total failure, the UHF has worked very well.

For VHF I just use a small "whisker" style NMO mount antenna, Laird Technologies. Tessco sells these for only a few dollars. Not easily seen, only about a foot long and works well on VHf.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

If you get the black whips and the black nut, they are hard to see from any distance. Put it on a vehicle and it seemed to blend in. But it was an a black colored vehicle so that helped.

Jim
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

Jim202 wrote:If you get the black whips and the black nut, they are hard to see from any distance. Put it on a vehicle and it seemed to blend in. But it was an a black colored vehicle so that helped.

Jim

This!! I recently swapped uhf 1/4 waves for "low profile" to test them out, and they are 20 times more noticeable.
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

Stico antennas work reasonably well and take the place of the factory pleasure radio antenna location.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Sti-co are quite pricey...

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”