Replacing XTL5000 with APX6500- plug-n-play???

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

buckyswider

Replacing XTL5000 with APX6500- plug-n-play???

Post by buckyswider »

Hi all, we're replacing all the XTL5000's in our fire fleet with APX6500. I see that the remote mount cables for the remote heads are the same part # between the two models. - which is nice, since we can just leave the existing cables in place and not worry about tearing our trucks apart too much. I'm wondering if everything else is the same too?? I guess the "everything else" would be the power wire harness and the mic and speaker connections? Can anybody who is familiar with both of these offer an opinion? I can't seem to come up with any specs for the two units online. Would sure be nice to just to swap out the base and heads in five minutes instead of running new wires.

Thanks!
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: Replacing XTL5000 with APX6500- plug-n-play???

Post by MTS2000des »

The screws for the radio brick are a different thread and diameter, otherwise everything else could be re-used.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I would swap the mic and maybe speaker due to age/deterioration issues.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

As long as they are -O- series XTL's, and you have newer firmware in the heads, they should plug in, I believe you will need to change the mounting bracket as well as the screws for the sides.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by buckyswider »

Thanks! Great news. Hopefully the screws/bolts that secure the mounting brackets line up between the two different brackets- that would make things even simpler! RF Guy, the mics/speakers are only 10 years old. I guess since the mic attaches to the head we'll do those. If swapping the speaker requires running a new wire, we'll just leave them though.

Thanks for the replies!!
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Also it's worth noting that the APX6500 MP is about 1/2" longer front to back than an XTL MP. Shouldn't be a big deal in remote mount configuration but some dash/consoles may not have the extra 1/2" if your connectors are already in tight quarters.

I'm facing the task of replacing around 450 XTLs with APX O5 and O2s. Some admin cars will get O3s as this is all that will fit.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”