2013/14 Tahoe.. The roof...

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

2013/14 Tahoe.. The roof...

Post by giguchan »

All,

Which do you prefer for the ease of installing?.. The LTZ or maybe the LT... The PPV and the LS are not really in the running... I looked at one the other day.. it was "just too empty". I would like something with some comfort.. and a few amenities.

Have anyone here ever installed at least 2 Antennas on the roof with a sunroofed Tahoe? I would assume that the roof retracts at least it's own size toward the back of the vehicle not leaving much room up there.

A local dealer has a few of them in stock.... i'm anxious but i dont want to make a big mistake.. I like running 2 antennas VHF/UHF.. i would hate to have to use a DB Antenna... I just like the idea of having two separate.

Thanks
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
crazyboy

Re: 2013/14 Tahoe.. The roof...

Post by crazyboy »

If it's just two antennas I would not worry about the roof. You can do them side by side closer to the rear if you have to. I would get whichever vehicle is more comfortable to you and then put then take the time to put the antennas in.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I had a friend of mine mention to me about the spacing between the two antennas.. (might be 3) and having ground plane issues...

Good thing i logged back in here... i didn't get a notification that you replied. Guess they never got that that fixed.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

I have three (VHF, UHF, 700-800) centerlined on a sunroofed LTZ (behind the 'glass zone') and still had band-specific ground plane radii and 22" of equal distance between antennas. I am using mid-power XTL5000s. When you pull the B-post and C-post trim, you get a good view of the sunroof retract zone for your own peeking satisfaction. If memory serves me, there are a few braces crossing the roof for strength on your way aft, so make sure you keep the drill out of those. The peek from underneath will help you out and you don't have to drop the whole darned ceiling panel to see what's going on. Just a reminder to keep your coax out of the side airbag deployment zones. Those bags are everywhere.

Be very happy with your 2013-14 project as the newer body style now has the exterior roof rib on-center instead of straddling the center like on all previous models since the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade came out. This makes on-center mounting a thing of the past. Lateral antennas are now the better looking option because of this. I can't tell you how many of the new ones I've seen where the antennas are done front to rear, but off-center by six inches due to this rib issue. I've even seen a few where folks have mounted a 3/4" NMO on the rib itself (it's not real wide and the antenna base hangs over), and it doesn't look good or weather tight to me.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

giguchan wrote:Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I had a friend of mine mention to me about the spacing between the two antennas.. (might be 3) and having ground plane issues...

Good thing i logged back in here... i didn't get a notification that you replied. Guess they never got that that fixed.
There should be enough spacing between them that you wont have issues, especially of its legit commercial gear. The other post is on point!
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey there,
Thanks for the information. The gear is nothing special Just the 2 CDMS and possibly a scanner..... and maybe a puck for the Kenwood Navi/ Sirius radio .

Around here the local FD'S and volley squads are using the latest model Tahoe. I haven't noticed how the roof is mounted i'll have to have look the next time i see one. Exterior roof rib? Good thing i cant afford a new one..

I'm one of those "stuffy- snobby Chassis punch guys" Hole-saws give me hives. Dropping part or all of the HL to me is the only way i know how to do it. I have to be honest though- I've never drilled anything but stripped out trailblazers- meaning no vents, no silly DVD/VIDEO systems AND Certainly no Sun roofs...nothing to get in the way. The LTZ will be a different Project. I'm going to go back to the Stealership tomorrow and sit down again.

Thanks for the information and when the time comes i'll keep an eye out for the Airbag Zones.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

giguchan wrote:I'm one of those "stuffy- snobby Chassis punch guys" Hole-saws give me hives. Dropping part or all of the HL to me is the only way i know how to do it. I have to be honest though- I've never drilled anything but stripped out trailblazers- meaning no vents, no silly DVD/VIDEO systems AND Certainly no Sun roofs...nothing to get in the way. The LTZ will be a different Project. I'm going to go back to the Stealership tomorrow and sit down again.

Thanks for the information and when the time comes i'll keep an eye out for the Airbag Zones.
Hey gig - hope this helps. I know this is going to sound a bit crude but it has worked for me on
some of the Ford vehicles(Explorers, Expeditions, Excursions). I had to figure out some strange ways
of doing things without having any help(on my own). I removed the b, c and d pillar plastic moldings as well as
the very rear most top plastic molding exposing the small area just below the roof. I used a small 2 by 4 about
3 feet long and stuck that between the rear most roof brace and the headliner prying downward forcing the
headliner downward and stuffed some foam inserts used for large shipping box inserts that i used to keep the
headliner downward and used a real bright led flashlight so i could see what i needed to avoid. After going
up top via ladder to the roof you can push downward on the roof metal and if there are no braces underneath
the roof metal the metal will slightly flex downward. If you get no roof metal flex while pushing down you know
there is a brace directly underneath. This is what i have done in the past when i can not remove the headliner
and it usually gets me to point i can do the job well enough to save me time and get the job done safely.
Oh - and be careful popping many of these plastic moldings. I have had some break due to the plastic moldings
clips are way too tight like they are machined on.
fineshot1
NJ USA
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey Man,
Good to hear from you again..
Thanks for the information and the tips. I've done something similar to that when i did the Trailblazers- and it works. It's good to know that i am not the only one who attacks these jobs with unorthodox methods with positive results!

Jeff,
I was stopped behind a new body style Tahoe today. I was able to see what you mean by that Brace that runs along the roof... Certainly makes a center-line antenna install very interesting.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Yes, those external ribs in the roof metal that run front to rear are used to stiffen the roof when you put luggage up there. If it was not ribbed (still flat), it couldn't hold any weight from your stuff. The lateral bars (there are two, black, oval tubular) that run between the outboard luggage rack rails are used to tie your luggage to. Luckily, those are adjustable and/or removable, and I did remove mine to keep my three antennas away from reflecting materials.

I can't figure out any reason why GM changed the roof ribs from off-center to on-center after two decades of it being the other way. Argh! However, they were always on-center on the S-10 models, though.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

oh yeah and thats another thingS....

What to do about my:
Bike rack- off to one side
kayak rack -off to the other side
Rod holders-Inside the truck

Find a new hobby...
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Sti-Co disguise db antenna, they work like a champ and you don't have holes everywhere.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by giguchan »

Hey,
Thanks for the information! I'll have a look at it!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

They are a little on the spendy side, I had 1 on many vehicles, including my suburban that had dual 100 watt
RF decks, good luck.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by giguchan »

Thanks...
I think i'll need it.... BTW those 2 LTZ'S i looked at were beat up... I tricked the salesman into telling me that the previous owner towed a 3 axle boat trailer with it... to tell you the truth i didn't know they could two that kinda weight.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”