Can't figure how SSN4005A works.

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

terrio
New User

Can't figure how SSN4005A works.

Post by terrio »

Hi, a friend gave me this speaker, to see if I could figure it out how it works, since he couldn't. I can't figure it out either, because it has only one cable sticking out of it and a single connector in which a microphone plugs in. I have no idea how it should work, since there is no other connection on the speaker and I don't know how to power it. I tried unscrewing the screws on the back, but the unit won't came apart, even if I detach the mounting bracket. Searching on the internet has proven inconclusive, the most useful thing I found was a discussion on this forum 11 years ago, where this speaker was mentioned, but no instruction on how to use it were provided, the only useful thing was that I learned that this speaker is some sort of hands-free device for cellphones. So, I thought of asking here since it seems the right place where you could help me. If I posted this in the wrong section, I'm sorry, it's the first time I post here and not being into radios I don't really know where it belongs. I took a couple of pictures, hoping it could help. Thank you in advance.
This is the speaker with the mic attached:
This is the connector at the end of the cable. As you can see the microphone plugs in there, leaving no free contact for power or other connections:
This is the back of the speaker. Only one cable comes out of it:
Victor Xray

Re: Can't figure how SSN4005A works.

Post by Victor Xray »

It is only by coincidence that the speaker plug and the mic plug fit each other, but that is not how it works. From the original kit, the speaker and the mic attached independently to specified ports on the phone cradle box, they do not plug into each other.
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Making it even plainer...these are two parts of a seven-part Motorola portable cell phone car conversion kit used with their last generation (10-ish years ago) cell phones, including many of their flip phones. There was a small brain box that everything plugged into...mic, speaker, cradle, handset, antenna, amp (if you wanted one).... I had many of these and they worked very well. I miss these a little. Not Motorola two-way stuff. :)
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

It is probably not even an 8 ohm speaker. Most of the cell phone cradle kits I have seen in the past had speakers that were about 4 ohms or possibly a little less.
fineshot1
NJ USA
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

I actually looked that up once. I think you are correct. I wondered what the difference was between it and the HSN8145 (???) marketed to the M1225, SM120, etc. mobile radios, as it looked identical. It was indeed the impedance. I looked on the metallic speaker frame inside, and it had the 4 ohm stamp on it, if I remember correctly.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

The Icom SP10, Motorola HSN8145/SSN4005 and possibly several others used the same outer package.
The only thing that differentiated them was the speaker impeadance itself. I think it was originally of
Japanese or South East Asian origin.
fineshot1
NJ USA
terrio
New User

Post by terrio »

Thank you for all your answers. I thought there might be a component missing that would go between the speaker and the microphone, but it seemed weird that they would make the exact same plug for everything. Bad design, you should never have the same plug in the same products if they aren't supposed to connect between each other. Anyway, thanks again for the answers, I will probably throw this away, since I don't have any use for it.
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

It helps when you have all the pieces and don't just guess which wire goes where. If you were plugging the speaker and microphone devices into the proper junction box, you would see that each receptacle was labeled. Both connectors needed to be polarized and captive-locking, and were for two conductors, using standard removable crimpable pins.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”