2019 Ford Fusion - Auto Shutdown Feature

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

2019 Ford Fusion - Auto Shutdown Feature

Post by fineshot1 »

Anyone have experience with this feature in the new fusions?
Ignition voltage follows this feature - when the engine auto shutdowns
to save gas the ignition shuts down the installed APX radios. Looking
to find if there is another ignition usable for two way radio ignition
that does not follow auto shutdown. I tried calling ford cust svc but
they are a bunch of monkey key clickers that know nothing.
fineshot1
NJ USA
jpu535

Re: 2019 Ford Fusion - Auto Shutdown Feature

Post by jpu535 »

I personally have no experience with the auto shut down feature but I will say I have a cousin that bought a new F150 that has that feature and he said he was able to turn it off so you might want to check to see if there is a user setting in the configuration somewhere to do that.

Absent that then I would use a Lind shutdown timer and just connect all the radio power to the battery and run the ignition sense lead to the timer. I believe the shortest duration on those timers though is 12 minutes. I'm not promoting Lind but I'm sure there are other devices out there that do the same thing.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

jpu535 wrote:I have a cousin that bought a new F150 that has that feature and he said he was able to turn it off so you might want to check to see if there is a user setting in the configuration somewhere to do that.
i already consulted the Fusions owners manual and per that doc you can not turn this feature off
hence my question to the batboard.
fineshot1
NJ USA
wd9cms

Post by wd9cms »

You can eliminate the auto shut off with something like this:

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/coll ... eliminator

This may keep the APX powered up all the time but you lose the gas saving.
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

Look at page 154 in the manual.
“Press the Auto-Start-Stop button located on the center console to switch the system off.
The button will illuminate. The system will only be deactivated for the current ignition cycle. Press the button again to restore Auto-Start-Stop function.”
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

jhooten wrote:Look at page 154 in the manual.
“Press the Auto-Start-Stop button located on the center console to switch the system off.
The button will illuminate. The system will only be deactivated for the current ignition cycle. Press the button again to restore Auto-Start-Stop function.”
This is virtually useless to a police org that are in/out of the vehicle
at a prolific rate so i dismissed it as the BS it truelly is and no one
will be worried about gas savings. I will have to look into the eliminator.
NOTE: There are complaints about this feature with no means of turning
it off permanently by the customers.

Thanks to anyone who responded.
fineshot1
NJ USA
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

Look at any accessory that stays on during the stop start cycles and find the fuse for one of them and tap it. Still have to have the “key” to power the radio. Unless you just don’t want the radio on when the engine is not running.

For the record the shop I deal with does not have a copy Fusion upfitters manual.

One reason the manufacturers don’t give you an option to disable it is because it is a key feature in the mandated economy calculations. If they give you a way to disable it, you do, then try to sue when you don’t get the mileage they said you would.

I have to ask, is this a police package, a fleet, or consumer car being upfitted?
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

jhooten wrote:Look at any accessory that stays on during the stop start cycles and find the fuse for one of them and tap it. Still have to have the “key” to power the radio. Unless you just don’t want the radio on when the engine is not running.

For the record the shop I deal with does not have a copy Fusion upfitters manual.

One reason the manufacturers don’t give you an option to disable it is because it is a key feature in the mandated economy calculations. If they give you a way to disable it, you do, then try to sue when you don’t get the mileage they said you would.

I have to ask, is this a police package, a fleet, or consumer car being upfitted?
I do not know how this org buys its vehicles but i can say for sure
there are no a police packages in these Fusions. All I can say for
sure there was no thought about that in the purchase process.
There was a power drop provided that was used(-, + and Ign) so
the vehicle provider Ford dealer must have provided that. We
just used the provided power drop pigtail as we were told to do.
We looked it over and the Ign level fluctuated low during the auto
shut down process hence my inquiry into a better Ign point. If we
get the vehicle back we can look for a better point as you suggested.
If I get more info I can update.
fineshot1
NJ USA
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

Talked to a different guy at the shop. He said the reason they don’t have the upfitters manual is because their is no police package for the Fusion unless you go with the new Hybrid Pursuit.
wd9cms

Post by wd9cms »

I have one of the eliminators posted above on a 2018 Ford Raptor and it works as advertised. You turn the auto stop feature off and it stays off. Every time you start the engine the module turns the feature off.
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”