Adding ignition sense to non ignition sense capable radio ?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Adding ignition sense to non ignition sense capable radio ?

Post by RadioSouth »

Hi all,
I've been running all M branded mobile radios for last 20 years and they all came equipped for ignition sense so no problem. Now I'm looking to add a amateur 2m radio that I'd also like to follow ignition sense but I'm only working with B+ and B- leads. I was thinking of running the constant B+ off my M radios leads that I would put on a relay and then switch the relay with cars broadcast radio ignition sensed power lead. There a better way ? Anyone make a module to accomplish ignition sensed on/off ?
Jim202

Re: Adding ignition sense to non ignition sense capable radio ?

Post by Jim202 »

You can obtain relays from an auto store. Just don't use a horn relay. They are not made for continuous on service like your looking for. Then run the ignition on fed source to pull the relay coil on. Just remember to fuse the ignition feed wire going to the relay. Then fuse the 12 volt feed wire the radio will use before going to the relay contacts. Make sure your fuse going to the relay is slightly larger than what the radio requires.

Jim
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: Adding ignition sense to non ignition sense capable radio ?

Post by RadioSouth »

Thanks

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”