VIP 1 & 2

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rawfire6
New User

VIP 1 & 2

Post by rawfire6 »

Hello, I'm looking for assistance with relay configuration to enable Horn & Lights off a UHF Range 2 XTL5000.
So far, I have not been able to trigger the relay from a QC II alert to enable the horn & lights. I have been using a standard bosch type relay.
I have tried one relay for both functions and I have tried one relay for each function.

When I activate the QCII tones from another test radio, the mobile I am trying to connect to the horn and lights relay receives the tones and displays "page received"

I now have a tone that emits from the radio as well as the red TX light stays solid on the 05 control head.
My code plug configuration is as follows.

Radio wide/Alarm

Check= Horn & Lights

Check=Permanent Horn & Lights
Duration= 3 sec for both

Check= Two Alarm Option

This appeared to be a simple process, but it is really frustrating. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
jackhackett

Re: VIP 1 & 2

Post by jackhackett »

Do you have a button or menu item programmed for H/L? I think that is a requirement.
rawfire6
New User

Post by rawfire6 »

Yes, I have it as a menu item
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Which way are you trying to connect it, to the VIP Out 1 & 2 on the radio accessory connector or to the VIP port on a control head or DEK?
Have you set VIP up for Horn/Lights under Radio Configuration / Controls? There are settings under DEK A-C or Radio VIP depending on which you are using.
rawfire6
New User

Post by rawfire6 »

I have tried to connect it using the radio accessory connector.

I have set up the appropriate settings under Controls/VIP
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Okay, wish I could help more, but I haven't done H/L since the GM300 days. I can't think of what might be missing there, other than verifying that you've got the correct pins I don't really have anything else to suggest. Maybe someone that has done H/L on an XTL will chime in here.
rawfire6
New User

Post by rawfire6 »

Thanks for trying. I appreciate it
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

Check to see whether the VIP pin is supplying A+ or switched ground to the relay. A simple relay wiring schematic should be in the XTL manual.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

[quote="Karl NVW"]Check to see whether the VIP pin is supplying A+ or switched ground to the relay. A simple relay wiring schematic should be in the XTL manual.[/quote]

They're supposed to be switched ground, the relay diagrams in the installation manual show them connected between the VIP outputs and switched B+, on the dash mount radios the VIP connections are pins 18 and 19, and switched B+ is pin 24. I think they are different on remote mounts and W9 heads, maybe that is the problem?

Rawfire6, can you tell us which configuration you're using, dash or remote mount, and which control head or the radio model number?
rawfire6
New User

Post by rawfire6 »

These radios are remote mount config. Yes, according to the diagrams in the XTL manual, all of those pins settings are correct.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Okay, so which connector are you using, J2 on the radio, or J100 on the control head, and do you have anything connected to J400 (yellow) on the control head?

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”