Dodge Grand Caravan SE Install Pics & Details

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Dodge Grand Caravan SE Install Pics & Details

Post by kc7gr »

At the risk of seeming like Yet Another Brag Page (I'd like to think I have some useful advice on the site as well), I've placed photos and details of the custom install I did in our van on my hamateur site.

http://www.bluefeathertech.com/kc7gr/thevan.html

Among other things, I ended up using SMC instead of Gamber-Johnson for the mounts. I also learned of the awful fate that can befall anyone who does not take extreme caution when drilling through the forward firewall to run power and control wiring.

73 de KC7GR
NodrogCop
Batboard $upporter

Post by NodrogCop »

all I can say is: WOW.

That's very impressive. Have you kept track of the man hours involved?

Gordon
kc7gr

Thank you!

Post by kc7gr »

Thank you... It was the most challenging install I've taken on to date.

As for the man hours: I didn't keep exact track. However, I can tell you that I was working on it for at least 3-4 hours per night (after getting home from work), plus 7-8 hours per weekend, for about three weeks.

I know that seems like a lot of hours (and it was!) for the amount of stuff that went in, but consider: I built the shelving entirely from scratch, and the computer ate up a bunch of hours with OS and software installation/configuration. Also, I was working in unfamiliar territory, and I had several glitches along the way, such as power-tool failure (my old circular saw crapped out) and the incident with the heater hoses.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I could, if I were doing it all over again, cut my original time by at least a third, if not half. The main reason would be that I know where all the pitfalls are now.

73 de KC7GR.
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

I still think your better off with some freq agile ham gear for ARES work. Unless you have programmed every pair and every PL your asking for trouble. Granted day to day is fine on the commerical rigs. Also I dont buy the maybe Ill get to use the commerical radio on commerical freq some day. Unless you have authorization now, I doubt you will ever get "field" permisson to use a commercial freqs.

I think I would beef up the antennas 1/4 are ok, but some gain would be nice as well.
Gary N8EMR
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

HOLY HELL
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

gws wrote:I still think your better off with some freq agile ham gear for ARES work. Unless you have programmed every pair and every PL your asking for trouble. Granted day to day is fine on the commerical rigs. Also I dont buy the maybe Ill get to use the commerical radio on commerical freq some day. Unless you have authorization now, I doubt you will ever get "field" permisson to use a commercial freqs.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Cliche' though it might be in some cases, can you truly find anything wrong with wanting to 'Be Prepared?'

I would also point out that radios used on MARS and CAP frequencies do, if I'm not mistaken, require type acceptance. Even if they do not, the point is that I don't want there to be any possibility of being caught in conditions where I need to use a commercial freq, and not being able to because my radio(s) aren't approved for it.

Frequency-wise, I'm learning what's needed and what's not. In any case, it's a moot point. I don't know if I mentioned it on the site, but I will be adding an Icom 706 to the lineup this year. Is that "frequency-agile" enough for you? ;-)
gws wrote:I think I would beef up the antennas 1/4 are ok, but some gain would be nice as well.
I wondered how long it would be before someone noticed that. I can sum up the reason for the 1/4 waves in two words; My garage. Although the front portion has what could be described as a "vaulted" ceiling, the entry door overhead is barely seven feet off the ground. As if that were not enough, there's a big supporting beam farther back that even the 1/4 waves are hitting now. The big gain whips wouldn't last a month the way I go in and out of there.

73 de KC7GR
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

I would also point out that radios used on MARS and CAP frequencies do, if I'm not mistaken, require type acceptance. Even if they do not, the point is that I don't want there to be any possibility of being caught in conditions where I need to use a commercial freq, and not being able to because my radio(s) aren't approved for it.
If your not part of mars or cap, your not going to get a field promotion to a member. If your in a situation where you find youself out of the blue being approved to use public service frequencies by some miricle I would say that conditions are so dire that using a ham radio on commerical freq would be the least of the worries.
Gary N8EMR
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Good job on the van! Holy overkill, seeing as how the the electrical system will be in place for many more years than the van, but a nice job nonetheless.

Good choice with the Mitrek for APRS....bulletproof packet radio. It is a very popular choice for ARES packet/APRS stations here.

The Spectras are ok but I assume Kent isn't a booming Metropolis, right? :D In high RF environs, the X9000 receiver stays quiet better than the Spectra. I have Spectras in the car now, but I am getting 3 X9000's ready to put in when it warms up. Too much loose RF here in SE Wisconsin metro area! :o

Good call with the huge GPS antenna......tacky, but nice!!

Nice looking install overall.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
cranbiz
Batboard $upporter

Post by cranbiz »

UNBelievable! :D

Your wife is alot more understanding than mine :lol: :lol:

Keep up the good work and please keep us informed.

Nice Job!
K2XM

WOW!!

Post by K2XM »

I showed the pictures of your van to my XYL...her reply was
"DON'T EVEN THINK IT!!". I also have a Grand Caravan,

So enlighten me, where did you drill the hole thru the firewall?
I haven't installed anything in it yet, I just got it back in
October.

Later,
Pete
K2XM
YoChief

Post by YoChief »

Well, there's gotta be one in every crowd.

The install is Top-Shelf all the way, but.....

Been a firefighter (both paid and volunteer) since 1966.

Dug a lot of people out of a lot of wrecks, some their fault and some not, but after the collision, if you're hurt, it doesn't matter.

When you hit something (or somebody hits you) all that equipment is still moving at the original the speed of the vehicle after the front end stops and its going to come whistling into the front passenger area.

Would strongly recommend a police style "cage" behind the front seats to keep the stuff back there.

Just my $0.02 worth
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

I thought of that too, but decided not to comment, as the quality of that install leads one to believe he's got that base covered too. But trust me, a lot of car wreck injuries are from stuff flying around the passenger cabin, not from hitting things on the dash, etc.

(Think BIG DOGS especially!)

Nice install though, I'm impressed!
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
kc7gr

Re: WOW!!

Post by kc7gr »

K2XM wrote:I showed the pictures of your van to my XYL...her reply was
"DON'T EVEN THINK IT!!". I also have a Grand Caravan,

So enlighten me, where did you drill the hole thru the firewall?
I haven't installed anything in it yet, I just got it back in
October.
The firewall hole went above and to the right of the gas pedal. I found out later that it was the first drill (1/8th bit) that went through the heater hoses, so I can see that I should have put some sort of barrier in there to begin with.

73 de KC7GR
kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

gws wrote:If your not part of mars or cap, your not going to get a field promotion to a member. If your in a situation where you find youself out of the blue being approved to use public service frequencies by some miricle I would say that conditions are so dire that using a ham radio on commerical freq would be the least of the worries.
Gary, I'm not going to get into a long and drawn-out debate with you, so this will be my last comment on the subject. I was a member of Army MARS many years ago (formerly AAT9JM), and I plan to be again as soon as I get a proper HF setup going at home (having such is one of the prerequisites to membership).

In short: I have my reasons for doing things as I did, and I believe they are valid. I'm sorry if this offends your sense of What's Right in the world of radios, but, the last time I checked, I don't need your stamp of approval.

73 de KC7GR
kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

YoChief wrote:Well, there's gotta be one in every crowd.

The install is Top-Shelf all the way, but.....

Been a firefighter (both paid and volunteer) since 1966.

Dug a lot of people out of a lot of wrecks, some their fault and some not, but after the collision, if you're hurt, it doesn't matter.

When you hit something (or somebody hits you) all that equipment is still moving at the original the speed of the vehicle after the front end stops and its going to come whistling into the front passenger area.

Would strongly recommend a police style "cage" behind the front seats to keep the stuff back there.

Just my $0.02 worth
Thought of, and dealt with. As another poster pointed out, the laws of physics were very much in my head when I built the shelving.

It's kind of hard to see in the pics, but if you look on the topside of the shelf assembly, closest to the window, you will see one (or both, perhaps) of the bracing members that secure the shelf to the body of the car. Actually, they serve a dual purpose as both braces and a second electrical ground path.

I'll add a note about them to the web page. Thanks for brining the omission to my attention.

73 de KC7GR
YoChief

Post by YoChief »

I stand corrected

And my suggestion was submitted with respect, the final decision on the install would always be yours. 8)
kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

YoChief wrote:I stand corrected

And my suggestion was submitted with respect, the final decision on the install would always be yours. 8)
:-) I would never presume to be perfect, and I certainly appreciate the feedback. When I was still with Motorola, learning how to do installs, I was fortunate to have a very experienced mentor who, although he smoked like a factory, really did know his stuff. He didn't let me mess up, especially since I was one of the shop folk building the radio and lightbar installs into cop-cars for the City of Alameda (California).

Keep the peace(es). Oh, BTW, 'Phase 2' is already under way. More photos and details to come in the next month or so.

Post by 007 »

kc7gr wrote: Keep the peace(es). Oh, BTW, 'Phase 2' is already under way. More photos and details to come in the next month or so.

Mobile Doppler radar and AWACS ??
E911EMT
What radios do you own?: Icom ICF3061, Kenwood TK2180

Post by E911EMT »

all i have to say is Buff Mobile i wish i had that kind of set up damn
E911EMT
718 this is EMS
Can You Hear me Now?
RidgeRunner

drilling holes in the roof

Post by RidgeRunner »

That is an incredible install, I guess the one thing I find hard to believe is the fact that drilling a hole in your roof is going to lead to problems. I am surpriesed that no one mentioned this. Working for a two way shop our install guy has done 1000's of installs and has never had an leak or rust issue. We have had 3 customers come back swearing up an down that we made their vehical leak and he will take a part their ceiling only to find out the leak is coming from a windsheild or door seal. Also we have people who want their antenna on a headache rack then they come back saying they have poor site access on the trunking system come to find out the antennas do not work well like that. I'm sure your results suit your needs but I still stand by the fact you are not going to out perform actually drilling a hole in the roof.

Robert
kc7gr

Re: drilling holes in the roof

Post by kc7gr »

RidgeRunner wrote:That is an incredible install, I guess the one thing I find hard to believe is the fact that drilling a hole in your roof is going to lead to problems. I am surpriesed that no one mentioned this. Working for a two way shop our install guy has done 1000's of installs and has never had an leak or rust issue. We have had 3 customers come back swearing up an down that we made their vehical leak and he will take a part their ceiling only to find out the leak is coming from a windsheild or door seal. Also we have people who want their antenna on a headache rack then they come back saying they have poor site access on the trunking system come to find out the antennas do not work well like that. I'm sure your results suit your needs but I still stand by the fact you are not going to out perform actually drilling a hole in the roof.

Robert
Well, I'll tell you what; If someone local to the Puget Sound region wants to invite me to do a 'field test,' as in comparing my radiated field strength and patterns against those of a 'Through-the-Roof' install, I will happily go along with it. ;-)

I will add that, on a personal note, I've not had any problems that I can detect. In fact, the Spectra VHF's receiver is almost too hot. Every time I pull into my bank's drive-through, I pick up data crap from their RF-based security system on one of my local receive channels.
kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

007 wrote:
kc7gr wrote: Keep the peace(es). Oh, BTW, 'Phase 2' is already under way. More photos and details to come in the next month or so.

Mobile Doppler radar and AWACS ??
And missiles. Mustn't forget those wonderful little Stingers. Just the thing for waking up the folks using a cellphone in motion without a hands-free kit. ;-)

Post by 007 »

Just go with the sidewinder, or maybe those RF seeking radar killers!

The BMW that it hits will be spread out over all 6 lanes of the Interstate....Clean up is a snap - sponge and street sweeper!
RidgeRunner

that would be interesting

Post by RidgeRunner »

That would be interesting I am not local to your area, but I would conduct some test on this end. I would be glad to post my finding here it would be rather interesting.

Robert
Bob W

Post by Bob W »

I have a very serious problem with your installation...... I think that the weight of all that great equipment and the trailer for my wife and kids would exceed the load capacity of my Caravan. Looks great!
kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

Bob W wrote:I have a very serious problem with your installation...... I think that the weight of all that great equipment and the trailer for my wife and kids would exceed the load capacity of my Caravan. Looks great!
<splorrff!>

Now THAT's a picture I'd like to see. ;-)

I didn't give much thought to the weight, to be honest with you, but I've carried myself, my wife, two passengers, and luggage, and the van took it all in stride.

Some folks have suggested that Syntor X9000's would have been a better choice for the radios, at least on the VHF side. Considering that such are over twice the weight of a comparable Spectra, I'm kind of glad I didn't go that route.

Thanks for your comments.

73 de KC7GR
olderookie
What radios do you own?: APX6000, XTS5000, Astro Saber

Post by olderookie »

kc7gr wrote:
Bob W wrote:I have a very serious problem with your installation...... I think that the weight of all that great equipment and the trailer for my wife and kids would exceed the load capacity of my Caravan. Looks great!

leave the wife and kids lol
w7com
What radios do you own?: MCS2000, HT1000, Pageboy II

Great Job Bruce!

Post by w7com »

It reminds me of a guy I know over in Bremerton, N7GME. Take a look at his rig: http://www.hunt-one.com

Joe

BTW: I'll keep you in mind on some Mot programming I may need have done soon.
-Joe@nethead.com, Tulalip, WA
I have a private email server in my basement.
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

Didn't I see this van parked in the lot at Wierd Stuff in Sunnyvale, Ca a couple of weeks ago?
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
akardam

Post by akardam »

techie wrote:Didn't I see this van parked in the lot at Wierd Stuff in Sunnyvale, Ca a couple of weeks ago?
It is a distinct possibility... *taps the side of his nose*
g0dl355

Post by g0dl355 »

good freaking god man

You have everything in there that my dad has in his garage :o

Awesome install and write up
kb2crk
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra Spectra Maratrac

Re: Dodge Grand Caravan SE Install Pics & Details

Post by kb2crk »

great install, hate to bring an old thread back up but someone pointed me to you site and then i found it here. i will be starting an install on a 2000 base caravan and was looking for ideas. i will be going with two maratracs, two maxtracs, a mocat2020 and possibly a kenwood ts570d. i will be drilling the roof for nmo mounts as i do not have a roof rack and i was looking at the same mounting spot for the pa speaker. hf and or the 6 meter antenna will be getting ball mounts. i will be checking your page for more info soon.
just call me dos impaired.... lol

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”