Looking for something small

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

anthonyfellows
New User

Looking for something small

Post by anthonyfellows »

I'm looking for a radio that would be small enough to fit inside the center storage unit of a 2009 Toyota Corolla. Something that I can use to operate on the 2M ham band. Anyone have any recommendations? Also looking for antenna ideas ... Does anyone have any experience with those undercover wire type antennas?
HarrisonRHW
What radios do you own?: Waris Stuff

Re: Looking for something small

Post by HarrisonRHW »

If you are fine with running wire through the back, which it sounds like you are, I would recommend the FT-7800 - it would most likely fit, you would have to find a place for a seperate speaker though. If you want to stick with stuff with batwings on it, I would suggest the MCS 2000 Model 1, which has a front firing speaker on it, or any of the "commerical" models, which are surprisingly small (CM200/300), but I don't know how big it is. My best suggestion is rank your brands, then see what they have in remote mount. If you have a loud enough speaker, you can hide it pretty much anywhere
cophamguy

Post by cophamguy »

how about a vhf spectra with a handheld control head (HHCH)?

you could mount the RF deck in the trunk, and simply have a mic and speaker up front.
kminton
New User

Post by kminton »

I would go with the yeasu FT 7800 as well. It is what I run in my truck. I have it mounted beneth my console in my 03 suburban with the control head mounted in the dash. works well. As for the antenna, I have messed with a couple undercover style antennas and have to say that in most cases they are not worth it unless it is a nessesity. I did an L bracket off of my hood mount straight across from my FM antenna with a Laird C144/440CS antenna. Looks great and have not had any problems with it yet.
W3MOT
Banned for the Greater Good
What radios do you own?: Just a console for nuke'n.

Post by W3MOT »

IMO, you should junk the HAM stuff, get a CDM1250 or CDM1550 on VHF, get a remote mount, a drill, some screws and a 3/4'' Hole saw; drop your headliner, drill a hole, mount an antenna and mount the radio in the trunk and you'll be set.

The remote face will take up two inches, plus the space where you choose the mount the microphone. Unless you're leasing your car, do things the right way and you wont regret it. For a low-profile antenna, you can go with a Laird Technologies Phantom antenna, but they work like crap on VHF with a 1MHz TX range. You're better off going quarter wave on the trunk. You can do a Trunk lip mount.
Intellegence/\/\Somewhere
"One radio at a time..."

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”