02 Honda Accord Install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SlimBob

02 Honda Accord Install

Post by SlimBob »

I am looking for recommendations on where to punch the firewall at, or for guidance on the best way to route cables to the trunk.

Also, interested in reports of VHF undercover antennas (the kind that are under the bumper cover, not the 4" Antennex variety). Prefer to cover 144-148MHz, though I know that's not a concern for commercial users.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: 02 Honda Accord Install

Post by FireCpt809 »

The one and only time I worked on a honda... We went through the firewall with a 1" hole near the top of the firewall above the brake pedal. There is not alot of room and most of the dash panel had to be taken down to get the right angle drill in there but it was done. The cables can be run along the factory cables just dont run alot because there isnt alot of room for extra. As far as antenna.. Sti-co makes a vhf wihp that is a thin black rod that mounts inside the back deck with a coupler.. Its not cheap.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Car has tint, so inside antennas are not an option. The reason for the outside antennas is because RF doesn't get through the tint to begin with.
Dave

Post by Dave »

How do all them people with tinted glass use their cellphones?
SlimBob wrote:Car has tint, so inside antennas are not an option. The reason for the outside antennas is because RF doesn't get through the tint to begin with.
kminton
New User

Post by kminton »

the way ive done it in the past, i would mount the outside part of a glass mount antenna on the outside and take a razor blade and cut the tint away inside of the antenna base. Then stick the inside on. only downfall is you get one shot at getting the inside on because you cant take it off without ruining the tint.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Dave wrote:How do all them people with tinted glass use their cellphones?
It scares me just to use a cell phone in the car. But the windshield isn't tinted, so I guess it reflects all the RF that way. Almost as if the entire car were a cavity backed reflector.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”