MTVA and Impres Batteries?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tarheel3559
New User

MTVA and Impres Batteries?

Post by tarheel3559 »

I'm using a replacement Impress battery on my MTX8000 and I've got an MTVA to be installed in my truck. My question is, can I use the Impres battery on the 8000 and still use the MTVA? If not, what are my solutions? I really don't want to go back to the standard battery because it doesn't last nearly as long for me as I keep my radio on 8+ hours a day usually and the Impress does that on one charge, whereas my standard batteries usually lasted 4 or 5 hours. I assume that an XTVA wouldn't work with the MTX8000, I'm not really sure but I assume that the pins are different on them.

Any help is appreciated.
fineshot1

Re: MTVA and Impres Batteries?

Post by fineshot1 »

You should be able to use your impress battery in the MTVA assuming it is a NiCad or NiMH type chemistry battery.
I do not know if a Lithium Ion battery can be charged via the MTVA unit.

If your batteries are only lasting 4 or 5 hours chances are they need replacing or at the very least need to
run several times on a analyzer/conditioner like a Cadex 7000 series or similar. They are probably close
to the end of the life cycle of each battery.

No - an MTX8000 will not work in a XTVA holder unit - totally different animal.
fineshot1
NJ USA
akardam

Re: MTVA and Impres Batteries?

Post by akardam »

Assuming your Impres batteries were properly initialized on an Impres charger, you should in theory be able to do what you describe, as long as the MTVA is compatable with the chemistry of your battery. The Impres battery would loose some of its smart display features until such a time as you put it through a charge cycle on an Impres charger, but as the Jedi radios can't display Impres data anyway don't know how much of an issue this would be.

I guess it comes down to how you use the radio and MTVA. If it goes into the MTVA at the beginning of the shift and stays there until the end, perhaps just getting an inexpensive or used non-impress battery and using it for when the radio's in the MTVA would be ideal. If you're inserting/removing the radio on a frequent basis during the shift, then obviously this would not work.

I would tend to agree that if you're not getting full or near-full performance out of a battery that it needs to be replaced.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”