New York scanner law's

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb2cxj
New User
What radios do you own?: ALL MOTORLA 20 TO 25. 2 ICOM'S

New York scanner law's

Post by kb2cxj »

from what I understand so far. if your a ham, and have a ham radio that go's out of band. you may beat the ticket. however,, what if you are using an old motorola police radio for the 2mm ham band that scans the 155mz police band? I set mine up for RX only on there frq's.. TX=BLANK RX=155.5350 I hardly use the police scan list. but it's in the radio in it's own zone. is it e legal to have that radio in my car? even if it isn't scanning there band? and dose the same go for ht's? were I live, the police band is boring. you can only take so much abandon 911 calls and traffic stops lol.. on the other hand, it's good to know if there is an erratic driver headed my way. also, if you spot a bolo. you could tip the cops be for some one gets hurt. you never know if the car coming at you in the middle of the night is some wacko jrunk driver that could take you and your family out in a split second.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: New York scanner law's

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The FCC pre-emption of state laws on this subject covers amateur equipment only that can incidentally receive out of band signals. I drove for many years in NY State and City with a mobile radio in the car, and call-letter tags, and no one ever said a word to me about it or took any notice of it at all. I ran a little Regency HR2B with local ham repeaters as well as Manhattan Fire, Citywide Fire, and NYPD 1/9/&13th precinct receive crystals in it. NYPD has been on UHF now for many years, which shows how long ago this all was. None of us ever stopped to consider if it was legal or not and the laws for New York have probably changed since then, but I still would not be overly worried about the whole matter. The key would seem to be keeping things at a low profile and not showing up at fires or accidents and acting like a wacker, if indeed you show up at fires or accidents at all, which is usually a bad idea anyway. As far as "tipping off the cops before someone gets hurt," that's what cellphones are for.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
akardam

Re: New York scanner law's

Post by akardam »

This really isn't the place to discuss this. Locked.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”