Console for 2009 Impala

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

Console for 2009 Impala

Post by escomm »

Thing is, it's the model with the shifter on the floor. Apparently GM is having a hard time filling orders for cars with the shifter on the steering column.

Are we up the creek without a paddle? Any ideas/suggestions?

TIA.
Chipster

Re: Console for 2009 Impala

Post by Chipster »

Put the radios on the side of the console. That's what I did. I did not want to take the factory console out because nobody makes anything any better.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I should have noted this, but these cars have an extender setup, which means two radios, a RICK, plus the lightbar controller.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Jeff,

Photos and installs that have appeared here have shown only 9C1 cars with the so-called console stuck 'way up front and actually under the dash, which might or might not be possible with the lousy floor shifter. Only other thing that occurs to to me is to put in one of those post mounts where all the gear sits at the top of a tree off to the passenger's side a bit.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
radioinst
New User

Post by radioinst »

There isn't anything manufactured that will fit the bill here but you can remove the passenger seat and mount equipment in it's place, it's extreme but works. You can use a regular console as well and make brackets from the seat mount bolt locations. It would end up parallel with the existing center console and almost touching it. One of the Lund consoles (8000 series????) also has a computer mounting platform in the front that would make a good base for a swivel mount. Be sure to avoid the airbag or disable it on the passenger side. Officer equipment bag still fits sideways next to it.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Jeff,

Do these have a computer too? If not a Gamber-johnson floor mount computer bracket that mounts to the passenger side seat bolts would work for the equipmment. On the upper part where the computer would mount you would have to stack the radios and light controller. Ive done one this way but forgot to get pictures. The passenger side airbag would have to be disabled but the passenger seat is stil useable.

These must not be 9C1's they are using
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Hey guys,

It seems like they are going to be the standard body trim for the consumer model, what trim line that is I am not sure. I called the big three (Troy, Havis and Jotto) and only Troy has something remotely close, a 9-inch console that goes under the dash. Looking at the pictures on their website, I'm not sure if it the shifter console will get in the way, but I'm going to try to make it to a Chevy dealer today or tomorrow to take some measurements and see if it will work. I know it will be a real tight fit with all the radios and crap they are using. They are definitely not the 9C1 packages, unfortunately.

I will take a look at the computer mounts and forward it back to the customer.

I appreciate the suggestions.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

escomm wrote:Hey guys,

It seems like they are going to be the standard body trim for the consumer model, what trim line that is I am not sure. I called the big three (Troy, Havis and Jotto) and only Troy has something remotely close, a 9-inch console that goes under the dash. Looking at the pictures on their website, I'm not sure if it the shifter console will get in the way, but I'm going to try to make it to a Chevy dealer today or tomorrow to take some measurements and see if it will work. I know it will be a real tight fit with all the radios and crap they are using. They are definitely not the 9C1 packages, unfortunately.

I will take a look at the computer mounts and forward it back to the customer.

I appreciate the suggestions.
I would appreciate an update, I know sooner or later I may need to do something similar.
TIA....
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”