power for multiple radio install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

medicnurse
What radios do you own?: XTL5000;XTL2500,XTS5000,

power for multiple radio install

Post by medicnurse »

I have a three radios to install
Motorola xtl 5000 uhf
Motorola Mcs 2000 vhf
Icom 208H
and I want to be able to turn them off and on with the key I currently have a 4 gauge hot wire coming in to the truck and into a fuse block for the current setup . I would like to have some way to turn off the radios when the truck is off. I also have a 7 circuit boss from painless products but have not installed it because the 2 motorola radios both have a 10 gauge wire for power and the power for the entire block only has a 10 gauge wire. NEED HELP!!!
crazyboy

Re: power for multiple radio install

Post by crazyboy »

I'm not sure about the icom but the other 2 radios only need switched power on their accessory wire. Place a fuse tap in the vehicles fuse panel on a circuit that goes on and off with the key, I prefer the audio circuit. You could probably get away with connecting the ignition sense wires straight to that since they draw such little power, but if the Icom doesn't have an ignition sense wire then you are going to have to use a relay.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

The trick here is to consider how many transmitters will be keyed at the same time. This is your total current draw
and as such is what determines what size wire is needed to feed the circuit boss. If it was me, I wouldn't worry
about it. I can only hold one mic at a time and still stay on the road.

Jim

medicnurse wrote:I have a three radios to install
Motorola xtl 5000 uhf
Motorola Mcs 2000 vhf
Icom 208H
and I want to be able to turn them off and on with the key I currently have a 4 gauge hot wire coming in to the truck and into a fuse block for the current setup . I would like to have some way to turn off the radios when the truck is off. I also have a 7 circuit boss from painless products but have not installed it because the 2 motorola radios both have a 10 gauge wire for power and the power for the entire block only has a 10 gauge wire. NEED HELP!!!
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

The first two to reply both have valid points, but to simplify, put it all on a relay. The quickest, most reliable way to do this: Go to your local parts store, hope you get a semi-intelligent person behind the counter, and tell them you want an old-style Ford starter solenoid. A switched circuit from the ignition shouldn't have any problem picking it up, and the contacts are good for at least a couple of hundred amps. Overkill, but they're cheap, and you know you won't have a problem with it for some time. Some parts stores will also have an "accessory fuse panel", that takes "blade-type" fuses, and have a screw-terminal for power feed. Most that I've seen have a number 10 stud for the power feed, male spade terminals for power output, and 6 or 8 circuits, each with it's own fuse. Between both components, you have lots of room for future additions.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

Starter solenoids are not rated for continuous duty and many will over heat if left keyed for long peroids of time.
"The world runs on radio."
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

arlojanis wrote:Starter solenoids are not rated for continuous duty and many will over heat if left keyed for long peroids of time.
One of the trucks at a volunteer FD I'm a member of has a pair used for battery switching. Perhaps the people at Ward LaFrance aren't aware they aren't usable for continous duty? Did I mention that the same pair of solenoids has been in use on this truck since the early 80's?
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

We use a 75 amp relay for things of that nature. In the 12 yrs of installing public safety equipment I have yet to install a selenoid.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

arlojanis wrote:Starter solenoids are not rated for continuous duty and many will over heat if left keyed for long peroids of time.
The problem with blanket statements... you can usually find a case where they're wrong. There is such a thing as a continuous-duty solenoid - you could also parallel Bosch 75A relays to reach whatever current capacity you'd like.
kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

Post by kb9suy »

running the 4 gage wire to the fuse panel is fine. mcs2000 and xtl to the fuse panel. a 30amp relay for the icom radio with main power tied to fuse panel. Now you have to find a igition lead to tap into for turning the relay and two radios ignition wires. I can't tell you were to tap into unless I know what type of truck and year. usually the car radio or cigarette lighter are a good spot if their setup for ignition. You can use the fuse style tap that plug into the fuse box and have a small lead that comes of to connect a wire and put the original fuse back in for said circuit and anothe fuse for the ignition lead. Or a t-tap fused of the feed wire. I don't believe you need to put all the radios on a relay for their main power unless you run into the radio draining the battery. Remember to fuse the main 4 gage wire at the battery. I recommend a fast blow resetable circuit breaker remember to add up the amps and add 35% over that, so fuse for 135% of the equipment. that allows for build up of heat. Any question feel free to pm.
medicnurse
What radios do you own?: XTL5000;XTL2500,XTS5000,

Post by medicnurse »

Thank you for all the help. I am still a little confused with the relay how to wire it and where it hooks into the fuse block. Right now I have a 4 gauge wire coming off the battery and into a 100amp circuit breaker and then to the fuse block. I am currently turning the radios on and off as needed. However, i also have a cell phone amp that drained the battery and had to be replaced. the battery was 5 years old. Currently have cdm1250, yeasu 8900, 200watt whelen siren, 2leds, 90watt strobe power supply and the cell phone amp coming off this fuse panel. I am going to chance the strobes for leds when I get the money.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

Here, Not sure whether all the lines are going to confuse you, I went overboard :lol:
Last edited by crazyboy on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

medicnurse wrote:Thank you for all the help. I am still a little confused with the relay how to wire it and where it hooks into the fuse block. Right now I have a 4 gauge wire coming off the battery and into a 100amp circuit breaker and then to the fuse block. I am currently turning the radios on and off as needed. However, i also have a cell phone amp that drained the battery and had to be replaced. the battery was 5 years old. Currently have cdm1250, yeasu 8900, 200watt whelen siren, 2leds, 90watt strobe power supply and the cell phone amp coming off this fuse panel. I am going to chance the strobes for leds when I get the money.
Let me make a couple of suggestions:
1 - Ignore Crazyboy's diagram - I don't know what that's designed to do besides totally confuse someone.
2 - Find someone knowledgeable in your area who's willing to help you. What you seek to do is not very difficult. You'll save yourself some headaches by seeking the help of a local friend or acquaintance - especially if your first attempt is improperly wired.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

tvsjr wrote:
The problem with blanket statements... you can usually find a case where they're wrong. There is such a thing as a continuous-duty solenoid - you could also parallel Bosch 75A relays to reach whatever current capacity you'd like.
IIRC a solenoid is a rod of metal sticking out of a coil that either moves in or out when current is applied. A contactor, however, is a f***ing large relay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactor

And they do make contactors in unreasonably large sizes and ratings.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

medicnurse wrote:However, i also have a cell phone amp that drained the battery and had to be replaced. the battery was 5 years old.
Check with the guys at the Auto Parts store; most batteries are not guaranteed or warrantied longer than three to five years. Five years is about par for the lifetime of a car battery.
Thank you for all the help. I am still a little confused with the relay how to wire it and where it hooks into the fuse block. Right now I have a 4 gauge wire coming off the battery and into a 100amp circuit breaker and then to the fuse block. I am currently turning the radios on and off as needed. Currently have cdm1250, yeasu 8900, 200watt whelen siren, 2leds, 90watt strobe power supply and the cell phone amp coming off this fuse panel. I am going to chance the strobes for leds when I get the money.
I would switch to 2GA wire to be safe. 4GA wire will handle 90A, but it will be a lot closer to 200 degrees than you'd normally want it to be.
james04tj
New User

Post by james04tj »

You are off to a very good start. As the first reply that you received indicated, you will want to use the accessory lead on the Motorola rigs to provide ignition sensing. You can pull this from any power source that is controlled by the ignition. For the Icom all that you need is a 20 amp relay that you can get at any electronics or automotive store. In an automotive store you will find them either in the electrical isle or the isle with aftermarket fog lights. It should cost around $3.00. The relay will have 4 or 5 blades on it and there should be a schematic on the package or the relay itself. One will go to the fuse panel that you have installed, one to the radio's 12VDC+ lead, one to ground, and one to the source that you have identified for ignition power.

One location to pull easy ignition power from is the cigar lighter wiring if it is switched with the ignition. Another would be from the wiring harness to the stereo. Both the ignition sense wires on the Motorola accessory connectors as well as the relay will pull such a small amount of current that either is an acceptable source.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Perhaps one of these will do the job for the main power buss feed?

http://www.acdcind.com/mzl100.php

Then route the ouput of this to a distribution block of your choice.

However - if the XTL5000 is being used on a trunk system I would wire that
up seperately due to when ignition is killed it needs to de-affilliate with the
trunk system and if you kill main power to the chasis it will not have the
chance to do that.

Added benefit of the MZL100 is that the timer will later kill main power to
all of the equipment eliminating the chance of any vehicle battery drain.
Timer can be set to almost any reasonable delay before power is killed.
fineshot1
NJ USA
ab
What radios do you own?: G40

Post by ab »

medicnurse, back to your question........

Find an Acc. switched power for the two motorola radios, see hookup in Moto. manual or ask here,

Hook up them up with their fused leads and another fused wire to a relay (Bosch 75A are a very good choice) to control the Icom.

Another reason to use the wires on Motorola radios so if they are progammed for home mode
they will stay on the same channel/mode when you turn key back on.
Your Icom will depend on model.
ab

still lurking here

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”