GCAI Connector Source

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FlapsUp
New User

GCAI Connector Source

Post by FlapsUp »

I am looking for a supplier of "in-line" male and female GCAI connectors (for XTL5000, XPR4550, etc). I have a number of mobile installations coming up that will require mounting the mobile microphone farther from the mobile radio than the supplied coil cord allows. I have Motorola part numbers, but the GCAI female version is board mounted. I am specifically looking for "in-line" versions (or manufacturers/vendors of same) from which to construct extentions for the mics.

Thanks.

Terry
alex
Administrator

Re: GCAI Connector Source

Post by alex »

FlapsUp wrote:I am looking for a supplier of "in-line" male and female GCAI connectors (for XTL5000, XPR4550, etc). I have a number of mobile installations coming up that will require mounting the mobile microphone farther from the mobile radio than the supplied coil cord allows. I have Motorola part numbers, but the GCAI female version is board mounted. I am specifically looking for "in-line" versions (or manufacturers/vendors of same) from which to construct extentions for the mics.
Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum.

It is my understanding that GCAI connectors were created and designed by Motorola themselves. They did not use an "off the shelf" standard for the XTL series. This obviously creates some problems for people looking to build their own.

Good luck on your quest.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
FlapsUp
New User

Post by FlapsUp »

Thanks Alex. I was surprised to find a number of GCAI hits during a Google search, but no sources. Worse case I guess I can dissect some programming cables and butt splice them together. I was hoping for something more professional looking though.

Terry
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

FlapsUp wrote:Thanks Alex. I was surprised to find a number of GCAI hits during a Google search, but no sources. Worse case I guess I can dissect some programming cables and butt splice them together. I was hoping for something more professional looking though.

Terry

Have you considered using the accessory port and going to a mic with a modular connector? We did this a few years ago when we switched out some Maxtracs with Astro Spectras. One of the officers did not like the bigger mics and his chief got tired of his complaining, so we used an HM1056D mic for him.

Jim
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Like others have said, the use of the accessory connector is a good option. Just as a point of interest,
you might have to jack the gain up some in the software. We use the accessory connector all the
time in the interfacing of an interop gateway to these radios.

Jim

FlapsUp wrote:I am looking for a supplier of "in-line" male and female GCAI connectors (for XTL5000, XPR4550, etc). I have a number of mobile installations coming up that will require mounting the mobile microphone farther from the mobile radio than the supplied coil cord allows. I have Motorola part numbers, but the GCAI female version is board mounted. I am specifically looking for "in-line" versions (or manufacturers/vendors of same) from which to construct extentions for the mics.

Thanks.

Terry
FlapsUp
New User

Post by FlapsUp »

Thanks guys! The accessory connector might be an option. The radios are going into glove compartments and we might be able to Dremel out enough space in the rear of the glove box to cable into the accessory connector. Good thought. Thanks again.

Terry
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Point to bear in mind here in using the accessory connector for a mic input is the software settings. It seems that
Motorola and it's infinite lack of doing anything the same way twice has caused the external mic selection settings
to flip back and forth with the firmware revisions. I had a nice PDF made up as to how to set the software settings.
Now I find it doesn't always work and you have to reverse your selection if you get no accessory mic audio. It's just
a pain to have to hook up the programming cable a second time due to some dumb software programmer that can't
make up their mind.

Jim

FlapsUp wrote:Thanks guys! The accessory connector might be an option. The radios are going into glove compartments and we might be able to Dremel out enough space in the rear of the glove box to cable into the accessory connector. Good thought. Thanks again.

Terry
cmaz
New User

Post by cmaz »

The GCAI extensions are available from Mot. The part# for the extensions are:

10' == PMKN4033A list $42.00
20' == PMKN4034A list $48.00
akardam

Post by akardam »

cmaz wrote:The GCAI extensions are available from Mot. The part# for the extensions are:

FYI, those are for microphones, and not for control heads.
cmaz
New User

Post by cmaz »

akardam wrote:
cmaz wrote:The GCAI extensions are available from Mot. The part# for the extensions are:

FYI, those are for microphones, and not for control heads.
I believe that the mic extensions is what he was looking for.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”