Siren Park Kill???

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dfc2

Siren Park Kill???

Post by dfc2 »

My Department is using 06 and 09 IMpala's. We have new Tomar BLade lightbars and 940 Series Sirens. Our Problem is the Radio shop... can't...or Won't hook up the park kill feature for the siren.. ( They wont hook up the horn to the siren so we can change or activate the siren from the horn ring either.. but that's another argument...)

Does anyone know the contact point under the dash..or in the steering colom wiring harness to tap into?

I have tried a search onthe net, but all I get is advised to take a test light and test every wire till I get the right one...

not a chance our shop will do this... not without sending us a $2000.00 bill... so anyone have an info? somone has had to already have done an install with a newer siren on the impala's....

DFC2
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Siren Park Kill???

Post by FireCpt809 »

Id get a new shop. Im assuming these are police package cars . Its as easy as reading the manual that comes with the cars.

http://www.kerrindustries.ca/pdf/current_wiring.pdf
wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

Post by wa8iqo »

I agree with getting a new shop. But the reason thay are refusing to do it is; GM released warnings regarding tapping in to the park solenoid for the "Park Kill" features. They have been numerous occurrences around the country were air bags have prematurely deployed, ABS break systems have failed because of tapping the system. Screws up the computer or something?

As far as the horn ring goes, that’s beats me. There has been nothing documented “to my knowledge" regarding malfunctions because of this. Police packages should have a "T" type quick connector harness on the top side of the steering column just under the slide for the column shifter. It should be a four pin connector. You will have to reverse test light it because they are all "Black" as they are ground triggered.

Consult your local dealer for the notice on the warnings. You can also go to http://www.policeone.com/ forums for further guidance. I know we used Unitrol's UPKM-1 Park Kill interface module with out having any problems. I just picked some up on eBay for $8 each. I believe retail is around $25-30. Install time is about one hour each but will decrees the more you do. Check http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/install/2562344.pdf for the install sheet. They are marketed for the Unitrol Touchmaster siren series, but you can use them with others siren and you can even set up relays to control other devices such as disabling auto door pop on K9 units while in drive just by reversing the control wire. This little trick can save a K9 build budget $600.
Brad - WA8IQO
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

• A yellow/black, 20 gauge transaxle park signal from the Body
Control Module (BCM). The circuit provides a switched power
when the transmission is not in PARK (P) and the ignition is
turned to ON. The electrical load attached to the park circuit must
not exceed 0.5 amps and is meant to drive one relay coil.

You can use this to trigger a relay to kill power to the siren circut . Ive done it this way and with the UPKM never had an issue. The shop I work for has done hundreds of impalas we have never heard of an issue with ABS or BCM while using a PKM.

Siren circut.

This provision permits customer connection of a switch to select either
horn or siren operation when the horn pad is pressed.
A 22 gauge (0.35 mm2) wire is connected to an in-line connector in the
horn circuit of the instrument panel harness under the instrument panel.
The end of this harness extension is in a 5 foot (1.5 m) loop of wire
coiled under the instrument panel.

Its a thin black wire usually under the dash in a harness on the floor.
mrturbo
New User

Post by mrturbo »

07-09 tahoe/suburban org/black pin1 pcm

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”