maratrac in a plymouth acclaim

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb2crk
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra Spectra Maratrac

maratrac in a plymouth acclaim

Post by kb2crk »

what would be the easiest route for the control cable of the maratrac from trunk to dash.
i am not sure if it is long enough or if i have enough room under the door jamb.
the acclaim and sister doge spirit were used as govt vehicles for years so i am hoping someone would have a good idea on how to route these cables.
thanks paul
just call me dos impaired.... lol
Will

Re: maratrac in a plymouth acclaim

Post by Will »

We ran the control and main power cables down the same side as the battery. Under the door 'kick' plates.
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

thank you very much. that is the way i ended up doing it myself. the install is a temp on for now but the cables are routed the way they need to be. just trying to figure out the best location for the control head.
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

just a couple pics of the maratrac vhf hi. the maxtrac uhf is in now but the pic was taken before it's mounting. a maratrac vhf lo willing be joining the group just as soon as the mods to put it on six meters is done. if i can find one of those 29.7 mhz maratracs i may go ahead and mod it for ten meters and add it to the mix. may need to get a bigger car lol.

Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Those are some pretty scuzzy looking sockets. Hope the rest of your tools don't look the
same.

Jim

kb2crk wrote:just a couple pics of the maratrac vhf hi. the maxtrac uhf is in now but the pic was taken before it's mounting. a maratrac vhf lo willing be joining the group just as soon as the mods to put it on six meters is done. if i can find one of those 29.7 mhz maratracs i may go ahead and mod it for ten meters and add it to the mix. may need to get a bigger car lol.

kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

those were some el cheapo sockets bought for an emergency repair. most of my tools are in much better shape. lol. the trunk unit will be mounted properly as soon as i build a mount for the base that will allow me to pull the spare tire cover off without an issue. small cars are a pain in the ass.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Yes - figuring out how and where to put the truck unit has always been a challenge. Imagine a sargent's or a BC's car with two or three radios, a siren package, their emergency kit, their flares, maybe a spare weapon (or two), and everything else they want to carry. I just noticed you radio is missing the handle. How will you mount it? Criss cross pipe strap?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Bill_G wrote:Yes - figuring out how and where to put the truck unit has always been a challenge. Imagine a sargent's or a BC's car with two or three radios, a siren package, their emergency kit, their flares, maybe a spare weapon (or two), and everything else they want to carry. I just noticed you radio is missing the handle. How will you mount it? Criss cross pipe strap?
I suspect duct tape. Lots of duct tape.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

tvsjr wrote:
Bill_G wrote:Yes - figuring out how and where to put the truck unit has always been a challenge. Imagine a sargent's or a BC's car with two or three radios, a siren package, their emergency kit, their flares, maybe a spare weapon (or two), and everything else they want to carry. I just noticed you radio is missing the handle. How will you mount it? Criss cross pipe strap?
I suspect duct tape. Lots of duct tape.
NLN7713A, mounting tape kit, pkg 10
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

the handle is back on it. i did not have a key until last week and it was easy to pull the handle until i got one. had to program it some way...
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

some pictures of the bracket for the trunk mount while being built. it will probably go in later today or tommorrow depending on when i wake up.

please excuse the not so good pics as they were done with the cell phone in marginal lighting
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Nicely done. We've fabbed mounts like that to fit vehicles too.
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

the mount is in the trunk.
here's a pic.

and a pic with the 6 meter sitting on top. not wired up yet and mod not finished. this is what it will look like.

wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

You got my vote! Glad it's going well and glad I could help.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

the uhf maxtrac has been changed from 6 to 32 channels thanks to a maxtarc LS donor radio and an eeprom change. just a few pics of the install.

thanks for all the help...
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

added another motorola radio to the mix and wired up the PA for the maratrac. not done yet as the wiring needs to be straightened out and loomed up and the under dash panel put back in. yes i know the new radio is an eleven meter am radio. just a few pics.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”