2009 chevy silverado crew cab

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireguy810

2009 chevy silverado crew cab

Post by fireguy810 »

I'm trying to find access into the cab of my 2009 chevy silverado crew cab. I need to run coax from the antenna mounted on the tool box. I can't find any holes to access into the rear of the cab. I also need to run a power wire through the firewall. Can't find any holes through their either. Any suggestions??
Bill_G

Re: 2009 chevy silverado crew cab

Post by Bill_G »

I haven't done a mobile install in a few years, and am not familiar with the best places to drill a hole in the latest trucks. But, I always used a 3/4" hole saw and a rubber grommet somewhere between the steering column and e-brake assy to run batt lines. For your ant line either lift all the carpeting in the back to look for drain holes, or drill another 3/4" hole with grommet to reach the bed and box.
azlooker
What radios do you own?: Way too many to list!

Post by azlooker »

look under the carpet on the passenger side, on the forward side of the floor slope. you may find a body bolt access plug. you can get to engine compartment thru this hole. If this is not there, lift the rocker panel off and there should be some body hole plugs you can go thru. This is usually the easiest way to get to the engine compartment. Of course, you can always just drill and grommet like the last post. Unless you are running power for a high power HF radio, the distance of the power cable power should not make much difference. As for the antenna cable, same thing, I seem to remember some drain plugs in the rear for use as access.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I guess you haven't tried getting under the truck and taking a peek very hard. i have always found a large rubber
plug under the rear seat area on both sides.

Have you tried looking around the emergency brake cable and the gas pedal linkage. Again I have yet to find
a truck that doesn't have a rubber grommet on the drivers side that you can punch a hole through for a
power wire.

Jim

fireguy810 wrote:I'm trying to find access into the cab of my 2009 chevy silverado crew cab. I need to run coax from the antenna mounted on the tool box. I can't find any holes to access into the rear of the cab. I also need to run a power wire through the firewall. Can't find any holes through their either. Any suggestions??
colby4601

Post by colby4601 »

Jim202 wrote:I guess you haven't tried getting under the truck and taking a peek very hard. i have always found a large rubber
plug under the rear seat area on both sides.

Have you tried looking around the emergency brake cable and the gas pedal linkage. Again I have yet to find
a truck that doesn't have a rubber grommet on the drivers side that you can punch a hole through for a
power wire.

Jim

fireguy810 wrote:I'm trying to find access into the cab of my 2009 chevy silverado crew cab. I need to run coax from the antenna mounted on the tool box. I can't find any holes to access into the rear of the cab. I also need to run a power wire through the firewall. Can't find any holes through their either. Any suggestions??

Exactly what we did with our Silverado. It's the 2009 model crew cab and it has a rubber grommet down by the pedals. We sent the wires through there and then underneath the center console and out the side where the radio was mounted.
--

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”