'09 Yukon roof antenna location

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

'09 Yukon roof antenna location

Post by RadioSouth »

Hi all,
Picking up a '09 Yukon tomorrow and looking it over today noticed the rear A/C comes from ceiling vents and there's also
the issue of possible OnStar and XM obstructions. Was hoping to not have to pull the headliner down, anyone know if the roof centerline is clear ? Was looking to put a NMO roof center and a 2nd midway back. Any other tips, please share haven't done a Yukon
since 1995 (actually a Tahoe then) and I'm sure things are quite different.
jims123
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1250,750.cdm750.1250 1550XT2

Re: '09 Yukon roof antenna location

Post by jims123 »

Hi I have this problem with are new EMS supervisor vehicles as you notice the AC will run all the way to rear seat and also the rear A/C control wires for the fan, the On star system ran the same location & A/C. We found a clean point at 10 inch from rear A frame location to center of vehicle.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Thanks, yep definetely a lot of stuff up top.
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Did 3 antennas in a row (front to back) on an '08 Tahoe LTZ (sunroof, rear AC, OnStar, XM, etc.). Can talk you thru your concerns. PM me. :)
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

I consider myself picky when mounting vehicle roof antennas. Most installer will "rough it" and just jam them in the roof, here is what I generally do.

Usually on the passanger side I remove the post plastics, oh crap handles and sun visor. This allows just enough room to get your hands in the roof area and to sneek a peek. I then take electrical tape and mark the locations of the cross supports/obstructions on the roof just about where the ski racks are. Then using a tape measurer/stick mark the locations of the antennas (working within the cross supports marked with tape). Using the aero creases within the roof to measure I have always found helpfull. I then mark the drill point with a sharpie. Before I drill I take UHF 1/4 wave button antennas and slide the rod down thorugh the rubber boot and match it directly on the drill spot. I then push the rubber down on the roof and then place the metal body ontop. THis allows the antenna to center with the proposed drill point and With all the 1/4 waves in place you can step back from all sides and check symmetry. We usually wind up doing 6 antennas on all vehciles in this part 3 in a striaght line and three across the rear. I have always been pleased with the results. Try not to use and rubber items like trim or gaskets on the roof to measure against.

Good Luck, Rob

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”